HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee   Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Once in a while, especially on hot days, I like my coffee cold. About a week ago I had a brainstorm that gave me one of .

Make your full pot of coffee, cuz that's what you're used to doing at work (or not). Drink half and get yourself going, and shut the pot off. Wait till it cools a while. Rinse out a plastic pepsi (or other soft drink) bottle, and poor the coffee in there. Add your creamer, sugars, milks, or what-have-yous. Shake that bad boy up furiously, and stick in the fridge. If you have enough coffee left, make another! Maybe stick one in the freezer if you're in a rush for a cold coffee.

Hell, plan ahead for the next day...make another pot, and follow the instructions to make several bottles of cold coffee waiting in the fridge for whenever you get the urge!

Haven't calculated how much each 24oz bottle is costing me, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying a starbucks in the bottle, and you can make it as strong as you want, plus flavor any way you want!
Yum yum yum!

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee   Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 pm

An update! I've been REALLY curious how this...I can't even really call it a recipe...technique(???) compares to buying those little glass bottles of Starbucks Frappucinos or whatever they are. Check this out, I just did the math.

I roll primarily with two types of coffee: Folgers Gourmet Supreme and Folgers Black Silk...both DARK roast, and anywhere from $10 to $13 for the 27.8oz plastic tub. Yes, there's cheaper coffees, but when you slam as much of the stuff as I do at work, you gotta set standards for your taste buds and gag reflex (I'm looking at you, Chase & Sanborn).

Anyway, NOT counting filters, cuz 200 filters at $0.99 is really kind of negligible, and guess-timating creamer/milk cost for the little bit used, here's a breakdown.

Full 10 cup pot of Joe, roughly a buck-twelve (that's $1.12). Over-estimate for filter, creamer/milk, and sugar used per cup, and I'm going to say $2.00 per pot for this. The one pot, with creamer and sugar, I filled a 1-liter (33.6 oz) bottle, and a 24 oz bottle. That's 57.6oz of cold cold coffee flavored however I, me, myself want it, and as strong as I want it. Haven't been back to the store to check size/price of the little glass bottles of cold coffee, but something tells me I'm running quite a bit cheaper. (just for the record, my 57.6oz converts to 1.70 liters...damn that's a lot of cold coffee for $2!!!!)

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee   Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 pm

You, good sir, are over charging. According to the stuff I just googled (yes, I am that freaking bored at work right now), a single cup of coffee, including water / filters / creamer / etcetera, costs between 10 and 15 cents.

So, at the most, $1.50 for 80 ounces (a cup is 8 ounces). How did you get 58 ounces? Did you drink some coffee before bottling? Whoops! Forgot the milk costs...

Going with the highest price, $3.80 for Vitamin D Whole Milk, let's see... 4 quarts, 2 pints per quart, two cups per pint...16 cups per gallon. $3.80 divided by 16... 24 cents per cup.

24 plus 15... 39 cents per cup of your brew. BUT... since you are making a half-and-half mixture (half coffee / half milk), you pretty much double your original 10 cups, cutting the cost by half...

20 cents per cup! Since your one pot, combined with milk, makes 20 cups of drink, the total cost is $4.00!

Wowee!

Okay... now figure a Starbucks bottled coffee is 9.5 ounces (just goggled it) and costs roughly $3.00 (depending on where you go this would be the extreme price). 20 cups equals 160 ounces... 160 ounces divided by 9.5... 16.8 cups. We'll round that up to 17 cups to make it simpler. 17 multiplied by $3 equals $51, compared to you 20 cups for $4.

Wowee, what a bargain!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee   

Back to top Go down

Shadowcrunch's Cheap Cold Coffee
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1