HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Burn for the royalty

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: Burn for the royalty   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Inferno reference aside, I am seeking help on burning. Hmm, okay, scratch that. burning Okay...

I am seeking help on the copying, err... help on making a digital back-up (much better) of, umm... my DVDs in the event that they should ever get scratched or lost or damaged. In an ideal world, these copies would eventually be safely stored on, say, my notebook.

The past couple days, I went ahead and ran the "free digital copy" on the DVDs that have the "free digital copy". Did you know that these "free" copies either have an expiration date for the redemption code or you have to pay about $2? Did you know that this supposed "free digital copy" can only be transferred once? In other words, let's say you transfer the digital copy to your hard drive... you cannot transfer it to an other! You would have to save the digital copy to something like an SD Memory Card, a USB Drive or the like in order to play it on other things (but NOT onto your hard drive and then onto your portable drive).

What freakin' good is the digital copy then if it has those restrictions? Oh sure, it prevents others from making copy after copy after copy, but when you have burners out there, does it really matter? And why put a expiration date on them?!

*ahem*

So, I got to thinking. Perhaps it is time I step things up and start burning some things... that way, I can have movies on my notebook, extra movies for my PSP, and the oldest could even transfer them to his Zune.

Problem is, I have no idea what to look for or what I need or how to go about doing things.

I googled free dvd burner and got quite a bit of info and hits, but I can't heads or tails of things. What should I get? What program do others here use or recommend?

All I want to do is get the movie copied onto my hard drive so I can transfer it to a thumb-drive then to my notebook, or from hard drive to PSP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VaderXanth
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Try to get a copy of 'DVD Shrink'. That is a good place to start!

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:57 pm

So what's this "To enable burning, download Nero"? I doubt they are talking about the psychotic Roman Emperor. I suppose since I'm not really burning, but transferring, I don't have to download Nero.

Right?

Well, let's see what happens. First movie I grabbed is The Last Samurai. Okay, click open disk... uncheck french and spanish subtitles / audio... click backup... extracting (always good)... 15 minutes remaining.

Huh.

Well, I guess I'll come back later...

Oh, downloaded DVD Shrink from this site... http://www.afterdawn.com/software/general/download_splash.cfm/dvd_shrink Tried a different one, but it didn't install properly, and wanted me to accept a bunch of other crap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Hurm. Something wasn't right with what I did. Let's see... google search... how to... ahh, okay, I need to click re-author. Okay, click main movie only, don't break up files between video and audio... try again.

*sigh*

So now I should be able to play the movie from off my hard drive, right? I guess I'll find out sooner or later. If it plays, great, then I know I can send that file to my USB. If not, well, I won't be any less off than what I was, so no real loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:23 am

Just a little update on my venturing into the world of DVD back-ups. After running DVD Shrink on The Last Samurai a second time, using the re-author icon, I noted that instead of having one continuous video file, it broke the movie into five segments; this wasn’t limited to re-authoring, as it had done this on the normal back-up method as well. Is this normal? I believe this is, as I think I remember seeing DVD information broken up like that (and sometimes even in greater segments).

I did not download Nero, as I am not taking this video information and burning it onto a disk. I did, however, download a free program which allows one to watch, umm, VIO (?) files. This program (the name of which I’ll post later) worked great, but it would only play one segment at a time… after segment one finished, it didn’t jump ahead to segment two. Also, I say VIO because I’m at work right now, and cannot double check what file type the DVD saved as. Now I just have to figure out how to save DVD information or formatting as a different type, like WMV or something.

So, now my questions are as follows:

1. How can I get DVD Shrink to save the movie as one file instead of in different segments so that I can play the movie as one lone video instead of segments?
2. How can I go about getting DVD Shrink to save the video in a different format?
3. What should I be doing?

I’m certain that if I go to the DVD Shrink forums or search the web I can find the info I need… but that tends to defeat the purpose of this forum, doesn’t it? Besides, posting as a step by step, maybe perhaps when this site gets onto the google boards more people will come here.

Oh well. Back to work now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VaderXanth
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:27 am

Alright.. I was wrong with what you were wanting. I was under the assumption that you were going to make physical back-ups of the DVD's. Don't get rid of DVD Shrink just yet. That program comes in later....

You will need a DVD Decrypter. There just so happens to be a program named just that. DVD Decrypter. (DVD Decrypter is a free tool which enables you decrypt and copy a DVD to your PC's hard disk. From there you can choose to watch them with the likes of PowerDVD and WinDVD or you can re-encode them to MPEG1 (VCD) or DivX. Advanced functionality can be found in the DVD Decrypter context menus. ) Get you one of those!

Try that.. Here is a link for you to do so.... http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVD-Decrypter/1011845169/1

The DVD Shrink program can make a 'temporary' copy of your DVD which you can edit the languages, sub titles and other not needed stuff. If you don't want the bonus features, you could possible mount the temp DVD (edited without the extra stuff) to a virtual drive and then use DVD Decrypter.

I hope this puts you back on track!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

So let's say I want to make a physical back-up copy of a movie I checked out from the library or borrowed. Will DVD Shrink be able to do that? Or do I need to download something else?

I know, it may seem like a silly question, one that I could probably figure out. I just don't want to figure it out by trial and error.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VaderXanth
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:57 am

DVD Shrink will make the physical copy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burn for the royalty   

Back to top Go down

Burn for the royalty