HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Vinyl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Vinyl   Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 am

I have had "find and clean the old turntable" on my to-do list for weeks. I keep forgetting. It's not like I have a ton of albums, as I have maybe 15 full albums and another 15 45's. Hell, why do I even have a turntable?! Because I love vinyl, that's why. I grew up on vinyl. Until my teens, when I was introduced to METAL on CD, all of my music experience was on vinyl, tape, or radio. Radio cut out, tapes got eaten, vinyl just played. If I had to list all of the albums my dad had that I grew up listening to...well, I couldn't do it. But artists like Cream, The Beatles, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Fifth Dimension, Elton John (you have NOT enjoyed Elton John until you've heard Rocketman on vinyl and turned up to 11!!!), The Rascals, The Guess Who, The Who...you know what, nevermind. We'll just say Led Zeppelin was too hard for my dad, so anything below that, he had.

So this morning, I'm doing some paperwork at work, and I put some tunes in my phone playlist, and I accidentally add a song that is VERY nostalgic for me...from the 90s, but it reminds me of my childhood. Suddenly I remember all the old vinyl, and oddly enough I suddenly wonder what That Song would sound like on vinyl. Well....

IF you use Winamp as your windows PC music player of choice, there is a plugin available to simulate the lo-fi effects of warp, dust, scratches, mechanical wear, and all the other things that could seriously make vinyl sound like crap. Just installed it to make sure it worked, and a song that came out 2 years ago is sounding perfect on the plug-ins preset of "Played a Hundred Too Many Times." Wow...I have chills! Surprised

So, if any of the above makes you say "YIPPEE!!!!" I have a link to the plugin here: winamp vinyl plugin Obviously if you never got into vinyl, you will have no interest. If you use some other program for music, and happen to find a similar plugin, post it so we all know! AND...since the topic is vinyl, later today I will locate some of the sites I've found that still make and sell vinyl, and post them.

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl   Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I have quite a few records myself. Whenever I go to thrift stores or the likes of Goodwill, I always check them out... I have amassed a nice collection of Styx and Alan Parson. My mother-in-law gave me a crapload of Blondie and Led Zeppelin. And on.

I used to have a bunch of record players, but had to make room, so got rid of all of them save one. Its a damned nice one. Of of those older models where it's the size of a big box TV, the top flips up, and the player's inside. Has a built in 8 track player, too, but don't know if that works or not, because I can't find any decent 8 tracks tapes.

OH! I should mention (just for the hell of it) that I have Quiet Riot's Mental Health on vinyl (in addition to CD and tape).

Funny how vinyl's been coming back over the past few years. Keep seeing this Judas Priest record collection, but never bothered to check it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl   Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Unfortunately, my dad had the collection...I just have a few pieces of vinyl, but with the growing trend of the past completely disappearing (like books), I'm thinking of starting to upscale my collection. I have no idea what all I have, but I know I've got some 'classics'. Pink Floyd: Animals. KISS: Double Platinum. The first Beastie Boys. Billy Idol: Rebel Yell. A 1977(???) album version of the Rankin/Bass Hobbit movie. Pearl Jam: Ten (never played, never will!). Then there's my 45's...most are 80s one-hit wonders that I purchased for an ex who LOVED 80s music, but couldn't understand the nostalgia of having them on vinyl. sigh...some people. Some classics there though...Come On Eileen, 99 Luft Balloons (Red balloons on B-side!!!), Video Killed the Radio Star....ETC.

Oh, as an update to the earlier post about the winamp plugin...it sounds SOOO frickin awesome on old stuff and new stuff!!! Feels a bit more nostalgic with slower music, like Audioslave's 'I am the Highway' or Linkin Park's 'Irridescent'. Oh, and Savatage's 'Believe' off of their 'Streets--A Rock Opera' cd is just....WOW. ONLY downside so far...and it might just be because I'm on laptop speakers with a lot of background noise...is there's no HISSSSSSS of the needle. There's slight distortion that I think is an attempt at hiss, so maybe on better speakers....

So, as stated, I was going to drop a bunch of links to places selling vinyl, until I realized the last time I bought vinyl from the internet, there really wasn't much in the way of Ebay. There's several million albums available on Ebay, so you don't need links. BUT, since I said it...here's a link for the place where I bought all those 45's....they keep making/finding new stuff along with their older stuff, and it's not just 45's. The 45's are good enough though...in fact one of the search pages I found a 45 of A Perfect Circle with 'Judith' and 'Orestes' on the B-side. NICE!!! Ah...the link: fasthits

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl   Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Okay, as much as I'm really digging this vinyl plugin for Winamp, the lack of hiss still gets to me. The plugin has a setting called 'wear' which is kindof like the micro-scratches on vinyl from years of taking out of the sleeves. There's a setting called 'electrical noise' which is like if you've ever listened to vinyl on a turntable with iffy wiring, and there was like a crackling distortion from the needle and electrical contamination. That works nice.

What do I want from a HISS? Remember that big blank lead-in on the edge of the album? Like a 'safety zone' to put the needle down and not scratch any actual music? Remember how any dust or scratches in that lead-in would hiss just from the album turning? click....ssssssssssssssspopsssssssssspopssssssssssssspopsssssssss... That's what I want. Then there was a similar effect of like 3-5 seconds between songs, and by that time the needle had picked up enough dust to kinda make that hiss pop out at you. I miss that. Maybe it was like an apprehension thing...like waiting for the sun to rise, or the pizza to cool enough to eat...like knowing your ears are about to be assaulted or massaged, depending on your mood. Part of the nostalgia...like that hiss was something special leading into something more special. I'm odd, I know.

So, a plugin. Maybe not for program X or Y, but for the OS itself? Have it do exactly what this plugin does, but when you fire up a song in any player or even on the web, it leads in with the hiss working through this current plugin so you still get the skips and pops. Then have a two or three second hiss between each song. Would that really be that difficult?! (says the guy who has no idea how to program an audio plugin or how much work goes into it)...sigh....I guess I just need to get more of my music on vinyl.

Oh as an update, I pulled the turntable out this evening, and will be cleaning it on my next run downstairs. Should probably scour the web for the old needle cleaners and album brushes too.... nostalgia. Back when you had to work to make your music sound decent.

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl   Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 pm

They should have an ap where when you jump to the next track, it makes a harsh scratch noise. That'd be fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl   

Back to top Go down

Vinyl
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1