COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kingdoms of Amalur?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Kingdoms of Amalur? Empty
PostSubject: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:08 am

Keep seeing banner ads for this upcoming game 'Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.' According to these ads, it's being worked on by ex-members of the Morrowind team and some guys from some other RPG team. Point here is Morrowind. On gamespot, the big background image ad thing has a quote from some xbox magazine saying this game is the first real competition against the Elder Scrolls series.

Don't know, gonna have to keep my eyes on this. Certainly looks like a nice assortment of weapons, armor, character looks, spells, terrains, creatures, ETC... BUT most of the screenshots I've looked at so far seem kinda bright and colorful, with an almost cartoony edge to the graphics like one would expect from World of Warcraft. Also, it's being listed as a 3rd-person action game with SOME RPG elements.... and that's going to compete with the Elder Scrolls? Hmmmm.... Again, just gonna keep the eyes peeled. Anyway, here's a video trailer of sorts. If you ride it to youtube, there's a bunch more related vids from E3 and gamescon and such. Might be worth a watch....
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:28 am

Okay, I will try this...here's a nice example of the cartoony look I'm seeing during a scene when a player SHOULD be getting ready to crap themselves...don't care if it's noon, why does the huge scary ogre looking thing not have a single speck of dirt or grime on him?! Um....no blood, dirt, grime, or signs of stress or aging ANYWHERE....that's what I mean... (now will the pic copy over?)
Kingdoms of Amalur? 991143_20101014_640screen003

To be fair, here's probably the 'darkest' moody pic I've seen so far...
Kingdoms of Amalur? 991143_20110412_640screen011

Nice weapons...nice graphics...still a bit too clean...
Kingdoms of Amalur? 991143_20110412_640screen002

Shiny clean armored short-haired elves? Um...even the tree is just a bit too clean...
Kingdoms of Amalur? 991143_20111109_640screen009

Okay so I'm a tad biased....but when you consider what I'm used to for 'dark' and 'gritty'
Kingdoms of Amalur? Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Screenshot-Draugr

That of course is a shot from Skyrim. Hell, even Two Worlds 2 has the potential to make you say 'WHOA'
Kingdoms of Amalur? Two-worlds-ii

So...Reckoning...too cartoony? Mayhaps only time will tell...but I am damn curious. Find out any news lemme know, eh?
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:57 am

Okay, off subject from the Reckoning game, but once I started getting screenshots of Two Worlds 2, I wanted to share some more with those who haven't played it before. It isn't Elder Scrolls, but it still has some jaw-dropping potential here and there...
Kingdoms of Amalur? Twoworlds2_0b

Kingdoms of Amalur? 2.worlds.2.02.lg

IMAGES REMOVED TO RESTORE SITE PLINKING

Animation may be wishy-washy, voice overs may suck BAD, and combat may be a tad lame, but there's a ton of quests, tons of useful crafting, the most amazing magic spell system I've ever seen, and the graphics have the potential to blow your mind... Now we should get back to the Reckoning....

Last edited by Shadowcrunch on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry Lord, I de-plinked....)
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh Ohhhh... someone has been deeplinking!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:13 am

what the fuck....de-plinking? Use in a sentence? "When I dropped the coin in the water it plinked, and when I removed the coin from the water the sound it made resembled de-plinking." I spose I should edit that post and remove those two pics before someone censors me or bans me or reports me to the de-plinking police....sigh...
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

I thought plink was the adverb version of the word plank. You know, plink the swaying action of one walking along a plank

Then there's plunk and plonk...

plunk [pluhngk]
verb (used with object)
1. to pluck (a stringed instrument or its strings); twang: to plunk a guitar.
2. to throw, push, put, drop, etc., heavily or suddenly; plump (often followed by down ): Plunk down your money. She plunked herself down on the seat.
3. to push, shove, toss, etc. (sometimes followed by in, over, etc.): to plunk the ball over the net; to plunk a pencil into a drawer.
verb (used without object)
4.to give forth a twanging sound.
5.to drop heavily or suddenly; plump (often followed by down ): to plunk down somewhere and take a nap.

And plonk? Apparently that is a cheap wine...

SO, where does this bring us?

If plinking is the swaying action of walking a plank, then "site plinking" would be what? To use the context of plink wouldn't work here. Could it relate to plunk or plonk? Let's see!

IMAGES REMOVED TO RESTORE SITE WINERY Nope, no matter how plonk is used, a wine reference just doesn't cut it.

IMAGES REMOVED TO RESTORE SITE DROPPING I know the wording isn't exact, but the definition would work... with plunk, as you may recall, it can be used to describe the dropping of money. Knowing that bandwidth and web fees and and and all add up, what I believe we have here is an example of the site making adjustments to its host pictures to lower the operational costs; that explains nicely why the supposed last two pictures are missing.

And, just as with "We will swim, We swam, and We have swum," we could essentially have "We will plink, We plank, and We have plunk." (or, as is the case with the post itself, adding ing to the adverb yields the same thing).

THEREFORE!

When it says site plinking, it could be read we are plinking, or rather "we are dropping/reducing these images due to financial constraints"

Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:44 pm

More news on this game....

Yes, someone who retired from the gaming business (who worked on Morrowind) has come back to do this game!!!

Story by R.A. Salvatore. For those who don't know the name, he's written a few books: 67+ many which take place in the Forgotten Realms!

Also, Todd McFarlane is the Executive art director....

Let's see what this game can do.. I've been told that this is the kind of game you would get if the Elder Scrolls and the Fable series had a child...
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:07 pm

I saw yesterday there is a demo for this game on the PS3 store already. I was going to download but am unsure of my available hard drive space and wasn't in the mood to check at the time. So, if you want to know more, try the demo! On a side note...

Quote :
kind of game you would get if the Elder Scrolls and the Fable series had a child...

Math time.
(ElderScrolls=Bugs)+(Fable=Microsoft)=Bugs Microsoft?
Hmmmm, carry the 7... Microsoft Bugs.
So Kingdoms of Amalur is a buggy Microsoft product...
Windows 8 RPG?!
WOWIE!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptyTue May 15, 2012 11:19 am

A friend of mine at work has logged in over 120+ hours into this game so far and completed over 225 quests. Although he plays mainly either shooters (Gears of War series) or 'arcade-ish games (pinball, Bejeweled) he stated that it is a great game. He has never touched an Elder Scroll game or Final Fantasy so just take it for what it is.. I've played maybe 4-5 hours and it is pretty decent. If I want to play a 'real' RPG, I'd stick with Skyrim but if I want cartoony fun, I'd play this..
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:07 am

So out of the 3 of us, I know of 2 who own this game, but only 1 who has played it through. Any review? Did it meet your expectations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur?   Kingdoms of Amalur? Empty

Back to top Go down

Kingdoms of Amalur?
Page 1 of 1