HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Last Avenger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman

PostSubject: The Last Avenger   Sat May 12, 2012 10:28 am

Had a brainstorm of an idea a couple nights ago, been playing it out in my head, trying to tweak it. Typed up some stuff, will do more later, but for now check this out.

Oh, I should probably say that this is a comic book idea, a one shot graphic novel type event. There is a spoiler in it, but I went ahead and spoil barred it. I think it is an interesting idea, so go ahead and check out the spoiler if you want.

The Last Avenger

TITLE: The Last Avenger

CONCEPT: After the destruction of most of the world’s heroes, a new threat arrives to Earth, and it is up to the last Avenger to defend all that remains.

HISTORY: With the combined might of magic and future technology, Doom waged war across the planet, expanding the Latverian borders as well as his power base. He destroyed many super heroes will banishing / barring those not of earth from returning. Doom himself died at the end, protecting his world from invasion by Dormammu.

Sensing the world was without its heroes, the Skull attacked once again in an attempt to claim the Earth as its own. The nations of the world fought back, utilizing its remaining forces and nuclear arsenal to repel the attack, leaving the world a radioactive wasteland, with pockets of civilization struggling for survival.

The Earth, once respected and feared for its heroes, was now lost to the galaxy. Many alien races declared the Earth to be untouched by their kind in the hopes that humanity will once again grow into a force for good. Only one race believed different, and began to hatch a plan to take control of the world, to use it as a breeding ground for an unstoppable army under their control.

Only one thing stood in their way… the last Avenger.

Spoiler:

1. Black panel
2. Narrow white bar, maybe three, horizontal
3. Black panel
4. White dot in middle of black panel
5. Horizontal white bar
6. White panel
7. White panel, green HUD graphics: life support, energy levels, radiation levels, atmospheric conditions… SYSTEMS ONLINE.
8. Splash page. MASSIVE Iron Man suit, looks like a combination of the Hulkbuster armor and the dive suit worn in Bioshock game. Tubes and wires are connected to suit from unknown sources, locks attached to limbs and floor / walls.
9. Frees one arm
10. Uses free arm to grab and pull connections
11. Moves to closed blast doors
12. Breaks through into dark tunnel
13. Walking through tunnel. “Computer, how long have I been out?” >unable to reply<
14. “Okay, how about this. Where is everyone?” >records incomplete<
15. “Records incomplete? Explain.” >systems set to monitor and control life support functions, all non-essential systems deactivated to maintain environmental integrity<
16. “What do you mean, environmental integrity?” >radiation levels were determined to be hazardous, even within stasis. Extra power output needed to increase and maintain the field<
17. “And the radiation levels now?” >within tolerance<
18. “Within tolerance? The radiation went from hazardous to within tolerance?! Do you realize how much time is needed for radiation levels to drop that significant an amount?!” >affirmative. Depression levels increasing, administering PCS<
19. “Computer, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean… to get… upse…”
20. Black panel
21. “Computer, I seem to have blacked out… was it because of the medication? >affirmative< “How long was I out?” >4.38 minutes<
22. ”You don’t have to administer the medication. I’m perfectly fine.” >original programming dictates the administration of PCS in the event that-<
23. “I know, I know.”
24. Boulders and rubble fill the tunnel.
25. Iron Man blasts the rock, is blinded by sunlight.
26. Splash panel. Iron Man standing at mountain cave entrance, overlooking a ruined city. “Dear god, what the hell happened?” >specify search parameters<
27. Iron Man looks down at his gauntlet, fingers clenching. “My imprisonment.” >Adrenaline percentage rising above normal levels. Administrating -<
28. Black panel “dammit”
29. Black panel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   Sun May 13, 2012 7:07 am

When IronBigDaddy is addressing 'Computer', do you mean Jarvis? Or did Jarvis break and regress to 'computer' mode? And the computer gases him?! "What are you doing, Dave?" Razz

Seriously, I have nothing to add about your plot in general. Run with it? I can't be any more supportive of anything Marvel. Sorry. BUT...maybe I can...maybe assist...

This has less to do with your idea than with comic creation in general. I had me a spot of brainstorm the other day, and it's been building in me old noggin. You are one hell of an artist in the drawing department. I am merely passable and it takes me way too long to reach that stage. So I have always wondered why your ideas ne'er to fruition come. It occurs to me that awesome drawer though ye be, perhaps you also take "too long" to achieve the results you want, and time is ever in small quantity. Am I hitting anywhere near the mark? Perspective, straight lines, ANATOMY...to try and work it all together, panel after panel... Evil or Very Mad

So my quest for 3D, to pose and re-use the same figures and locales over and over. But creating those things takes time as well. I will say, things are improving along that line, but what if I wanted to start penciling one of my book ideas NOW?! GIMP version 2.8 released last week. There is a page of release notes with pictures here. 12 pictures down is about resources and resource tagging. In a nutshell, it is now possible to tag brushes, gradients, patterns, ETC and place them in categories, like in the picture are the categories 'Basic, Legacy, Media, ETC..."

Now picture THIS! A downloadable (or just shareable between us Twisted Evil ) brush PACK, giving 10(???) new categories. Chest, Abdomen, Waist, UpperArm, LowerArm, Hand, UpperLeg, HeadNeck...ETC. In each category, maybe 25 or 30 basic 'poses' of the body part, in the form of a semi-transparent BRUSH. No matter the size character in the scene, no matter the pose, as long as you set the brush size, each different brush will automatically be in proportion! The reason behind semi-transparent is pencils. 'Snap' together your figure, kind of shady and easy to see through, add a new layer, and trace the outline and major anatomy features you might need. If it's possible to do sub-categories, then have a main category list of basics, 'hulks', heroes, frails... with the sub-categories of body parts.

Do I see this being easily possible? Yes and no. No because I'm not sure yet how long it would take for each category. Yes, because I see using DAZ Studio (since it's free...YAY), taking a screenshot into GIMP, magic wanding a body part, and saving as a brush.

What do you think?

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   Sun May 13, 2012 9:18 am

First, I want to add to my original post, then I'll comment on the reply.

When I was giving the background, I am not planning on writing / drawing all that. Lawd no. Everything would be appearing in flashbacks or whatever. No need to detail everything when bits and pieces would be good enough, if not better; people will wonder about the full story.

Okay, response time!

1. I thought about having the character address the computer as Jarvis, but it just didn't seem right. The Jarvis system is supposed to be a free thinking / problem solving AI, and I would tend to believe that such a system would be too much as far as what it was intended for. I'll probably come up with a different acronym, but for right now, "computer" is all I've got.

2. Gases him? Not really... electrical stimulation.
Spoiler:

3. Time. Need time. Well, not so much time, but a lack of distraction. At work, even though I don't "do" anything, I'm rather busy; phone calls, vehicle / visitor checks, people coming in and out, CCTV monitoring, on and on and on. At home, if it isn't something that absolutely needs to be done NOW, or a kid needing something... also, most of the time the mrs is working when I'm at home, so there's cleaning and supper and laundry and other things; when she is home, she wants to do stuff because we have such screwy shifts, it's hard and rare to have everyone home at the same time. So, I do quick briefs, either a quick sketch of the character, or a quick write up of a story so I can always go back to it and go "oh yeah".

4. Crap. For some damned reason I hit SEND before I was even done. Will have to go back and forth, edit and re-edit, for my comments.

5. I know a comic book artist tends to draw between one and three comics a month. Depending on the comic, that's 24 pages each, five to six panels a page (unless they're splash)... we'll go with five for now. One splash page, 23 pages of five panels, that comes out to 116 pictures a book, or 348 pictures a month. A good many artists don't even draw everything in the pictures, but leave it to the inker, so we'll say, on average, that'd be 232 pictures he draws a month. On average, about 60 pictures ion a 40 hour work week, 12 pictures in an eight hour day, or 1.5 pictures an hour. Shit, that's not bad, 1.5 pictures an hour. But who the hell has a solid straight hour to draw? Let alone 40? By time there is time, there's no motivation.

A graphics program would be cool; yes, it would involve a lot of time initially to draw the characters and such, but once they're in, that's it, it's all a matter of posing after that. And, it'd be easy to do a little bit, save, and walk away without feeling guilty. I just have to get myself a computer, hard to do anything when there are others not so much competing for the computer, but asking me when I'll be getting off, if they can go on, blah blah blah. I think that's why I like Pixton... it's quick, easy, and everything is already premade; sure, it's limited, but it is great to do basic storyboards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   Mon May 14, 2012 12:25 am

Your first post would have left me with a lot less questions had I
realized I had to CLICK ON the frickin spoiler!!! I thought it was one
of those where it made the text the same color as the background so you
had to drag-select to read it. Shocked Mad

@soothsayer wrote:

A graphics program would be cool; yes, it would involve a lot of time initially to draw the characters and such, but once they're in, that's it, it's all a matter of posing after that. And, it'd be easy to do a little bit, save, and walk away without feeling guilty. I just have to get myself a computer, hard to do anything when there are others not so much competing for the computer, but asking me when I'll be getting off, if they can go on, blah blah blah. I think that's why I like Pixton... it's quick, easy, and everything is already premade; sure, it's limited, but it is great to do basic storyboards.

I'm not sure if you're seeing the same angle here. You probably are. I'm not talking about 3D this time. All 2D. You would go into GIMP, and instead of using a round paintbrush, or square, or splatter, you would go into the 'Hero' category and pick...say... Head3/4. Set the brush size for roughly how big you want the character in that particular panel, click, and you now have a 'toon-shaded' and semi-transparent head and in a 3/4-to-camera angle. Select a 'torso' or 'chest' brush with the proper angle for your picture in your head, click next to head...continue down the bod.

Just running the process through my head, I'm seeing that once a person got used to it, it would probably be possible to lay out the panel (figure pencils anyway) in under a minute. Then like I said, pop a new layer over the top, rough the scenery (shift for straight lines!!! Razz), another new layer, and 'ink'. Maybe I should try this with one or two poses and see just how long it would take to rough a page...

Furthermore, if these brushes could somehow be used in conjunction with Manga Studio...well, all it would require is saving the roughs in GIMP and importing as an image layer in MS. MS has the perspective rulers, arc/circle rulers, page mirroring, image-to-toned background (like importing a picture from a camera and it's automatically turned into a shaded B&W 'object'), and hundreds of tones for shading. It could be like turning the entire creation process into an automatic thing... hmmm.... Question I must think further...

Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   Mon May 14, 2012 3:41 pm

I know what you're saying, was just going along a different track.

Using your method, wouldn't it be easier to just make individual jpegs? That way you can adjust the size and angle of the image. Then again, an image can probably be saved as a brush type... don't mind me, just thinking aloud here. Or even go the route that Pixton took; have eyes and mouths and and and all clickable with a drop menu to present different options... though that would probably complicate things, wouldn't it?

In going with the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) I wonder... is there an option with the newer Poser programs that allows their image to be easily transferable to a different graphics program? I know Painter 3D could import images... I would super-impose an energy blast from their hands. With Poser, we could make our stock characters, save them in the sketch mode or whatever, export to a paint program, and draw over them, adding the clothing / armor / details.

Any scenery that would be constantly reused, like a city or specific location, or hell, even a spacecraft, could be mapped out on a different program as well, and saved. I know I've been out of the graphics business for a while, so forgive the references, but... Bryce would be good for exteriors. I haven't the foggiest notion what program would be good to map out an entire city or a spacecraft (interior AND exterior), while still being able to export images.

Then again, we wouldn't need to export the scene. Adjust the camera angle, render, and then do a Print Screen. Hmm... that would work, as we wouldn't have to narrow the search for programs that are compatible with another. Okay, with that said, all we really need is a Poser type program that can export the character.

Having a blend of CG and animation does tend to look nice, if done well. Look at Titan AE and a lot of the latest japanimation. Locations and (relatively) static object are rendered in 3D, the characters, being more fluid, are "drawn" in 2D. So even if we used a virtual wooden mannequin as a guide, I think it would all look rather well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Quote :
In going with the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) I wonder... is there an option with the newer Poser programs that allows their image to be easily transferable to a different graphics program? I know Painter 3D could import images... I would super-impose an energy blast from their hands. With Poser, we could make our stock characters, save them in the sketch mode or whatever, export to a paint program, and draw over them, adding the clothing / armor / details.

In theory that would be the best way to go. However, it's been done. One of the reasons I want to get away from 3D for this purpose is time. Anyone can pose a figure, export, and paint over... but the TIME required to get your pose just right, camera angle for your 'panel', things like that take too much time. I used DAZ the other day to set up some figures in a comic styled fight (plan to paint over it), and just posing and camera work took almost 2 hours! For one picture, just for the roughs, that's too much damn time! I agree in theory it's the best way to go, but the tools available don't really speed anything up. If I'm sketching roughs, I can do that in 2 hours myself for one picture... it won't be as proportional or anatomically correct, but then it would be all my own style.

Not to mention if you want background scenery in Poser or DAZ, that's another boatload of work needing to be done in some other application (I would still recommend Bryce for this, especially since it's free). Yes, they could be saved and reused, but how many times do you want to subject your readers to the same static angle of the same static background?

Quote :
Having a blend of CG and animation does tend to look nice, if done well. Look at Titan AE and a lot of the latest japanimation. Locations and (relatively) static object are rendered in 3D, the characters, being more fluid, are "drawn" in 2D. So even if we used a virtual wooden mannequin as a guide, I think it would all look rather well.
Are you talking about doing this hulkon-man thing as a comic or an animation?! Or one of those motion comics you're so keen on? Looking back, you're first post does not specify the output media for this idea... Question

PostSubject: Re: The Last Avenger   

Back to top Go down

The Last Avenger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1