COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Warmachine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

I'll type / add more tonight when I'm at work... but in the meantime, get a load of this: The trailer for the Warmachine video game!

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 am

As promised, here then is a continuation of my earlier, nay, my first post concerning Warmachine and the importance of the attached Youtube video. But first, a brief introduction to the world of Warmachine.

Warmachine is a tabletop miniatures wargame, played with models you assemble and paint; then it is a simple matter of following a rule-set to wage war against your opponent. There is no board to move pieces around, but rather you move your troops across the entire table surface. See? Keeping it simple!

So what exactly is Warmachine? Warmachine is a game system developed by Privateer Press, whose rules are used for two separate (but related) games: Iron Kingdoms and Hordes. Iron Kingdoms is set within the realm of steampunk based technology, in a timeframe somewhere between the Renaissance and the Industrial Age, where feudal states remain in control and steam powered warjacks (think mechs) are the staple of any battleforce; Hordes, although within the same world setting (the Iron Kingdoms share a continent with the Hordes) and same time frame, are more closely related to traditional fantasy, with blades, more primitive firearms technology, and the harnessing of great war beasts. Even though these are two different games, because they share the same core rules and setting, both can fight against each other: imagine the spider from the movie Wild Wild West facing off against the samurai in The Last Samurai, and you might begin to see the difference.

Each game has differing factions (army types) for you to choose from; the above video clearly shows the factions within the Iron Kingdoms; each army has their strengths and weaknesses, as well as developed back story and history. There isn’t enough time or room here to list them all in detail (hey admin, can you make a separate forum entry for Warmachine discussions?), which is fine as this isn’t the purpose of this entry.

Anyway, to get back on track… why is the video important? Warmachine really doesn’t have a big following; the majority of gamers probably haven’t even heard of this, as they are stuck in a rut playing 40K, Axis & Allies, and yes, I’ll even consider RISK. The video game coming out will hopefully change all that, will get the name to a wider audience. Because this will spark interest, then hopefully the gaming stores will begin to buy the models, or at least be willing to order them… quite frankly, because of increasing credit interest and threats of identity theft I can’t afford to purchase them online.

(side note… next-gen game… multiplayer? must investigate)

Hmm. Just reread what I wrote, and it seems a bit rambly. Trying to cover too much to too short of a time span. Anyway, I’d advise anyone still reading this to go to www.privateerpress.com and check out their Warmachines system. You may not like playing these games, but you just may find a model or two that will spark your interest. And hey, if you have any extra cash, you can buy my some Skorne.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:30 am

You sir, have made an incredible find here!!! I take back 1/8 of the comments I have made about you not keeping up with gaming news, as I had absolutely no clue about this until your post. Warmachine 3449249468

I will be keeping an eye on this one! :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 am

I find it rather irritating that Gnome Games is pushing Warmachine now. Within the past week or two, they've started up Tuesday and Saturday gaming events.

Since when?!

Those of us that go down there have asked the management about getting more stock items, ordering stuff, sponsering events (or at least allowing us to set something up to draw assistance), but the answer has always been no, that there wasn't enough revenue to justify it, or there wasn't enough interest to hold games.

So, what, a video games comes out and NOW they try to pretend involvment? Did I mention I'm irrate about this?

I was sent an invite to join the gaming event... I declined. I did, however, ask why the sudden increase of interest, and if HORDES would be allowed to participate (it is a Warmachine event, but they might limit it to just Iron Kingdoms).

If anyone is interested, it'll be held this Saturday at noon at Gnome Games. Don't know if it'll be at the store on Ridge, or the East Town Mall. I'll recheck and post that info.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 am

Here's a link to the infor I mentioned above... it is rather cool that official Privateer press people will be showing people how to play, but other than that, pfft. Chances are they're only doing this because of the video game.

http://www.gnomegames.com/game-industry-news/new/warmachine-steamroller-%e2%80%9cbattle-box%e2%80%9d-tournament-july-9th/
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Remember when I originally created this thread?  Go ahead, scroll up.  June 3rd, 2011.  Over two freaking years ago, and nothing...  no word, no game!  What the hell?!

I click on the youtube link in the opening post.  Nothing.  NOTHING.  The video simply doesn't exist anymore!  I do some quick online searches, and nothing!  It's as if the game simply vanished!  Thanks, oh Powers That Be, thanks a lot.  Bastards.

But wait, what's this?  Oh look, there's a Warmachine video game "being made" and funded by Kickstarter.  WHAT?!  The game's already been made, for two years!  Why the hell are they funding the creation of a game that's already been made?

Because it seems they are now moving to to the PC.  Bastards.  Fucking bastards.  Anyway, watch the video for the "new" Warmachine game.

And here is a link to the Privateer Press article explaining the change.  Seems that
Quote :
Unless a title already has a successful history in video games or is a Hollywood franchise, it’s no easy task to navigate the publisher gauntlet from pitch to worldwide release.

Bullshit.  Has the writer of this article ever stepped into a gaming store?  Viewed the online gaming stores?    The market is full of new stuff.  Yes, there will always be the string of games, a never ending series, but there is plenty of new material being made.  Flower?  Little Big Planet?  Guitar Hero?  Journey?  This list is far from complete, but gives a sampling of the types of games that were new and unique.  How can anyone believe that a game with magic and mecha NOT have a marketplace?

Here's the article.

Article
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:43 pm

lol! That's kinda funny! I was just bitching to Vader about a week ago about the disappearance of this game! Of course, It wasn't that long ago I was bitching about Kickstarter also... seems like everyone who has an idea checks the Kickstarter. If a similar idea has went over their requirement, they fire up a Kickstarter in hopes of going over also.

Back on track, I'm still pissed at Privateer press for putting the kaibosh on the Android app 'iBodger'. I'm sure at some point I mentioned it. Regular Joe type guy made an app that was basically the quick-rules glossary type thing in the back of Prime, plus has the card stats (in a format for reference, would NOT be able to play using the app without the cards), and has an army builder list type thing. Handy app, lots of features, but could NOT be used without full rules, minis, and cards, so Privateer Press had NOTHING to fear from this app, but they send the app maker a cease and desist letter, stating that it's their intellectual property and they had something similar in the works. Year and a half later... NOTHING. Right there they pissed me off as bad as Games Workshop does on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 11:17 am

Update: this game wound up being a ton of fun! A few bugs, some shitty voice-overs and cutscenes, but overall it feels like the tabletop with the neat addition that the pieces move and blow up!
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 pm

I agree! The skirmishes we had were great!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Empty