COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Soothsayer's musical experimentation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's musical experimentation Empty
PostSubject: Soothsayer's musical experimentation   Soothsayer's musical experimentation EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Don't know how often anyone here (besides me) checks out Facebook, but a couple days ago (maybe even just yesterday), I posted that I'm going to be buying myself a musical instrument. Before I go into detail...

I blame steampunk. More specifically, I blame the band Steam Powered Giraffe (see my post in my song topic). I went through a few of their other videos and noticed that one of the characters, Rabbit, was playing a cool looking instrument. Thought it looked kinda steampunkish, so I thought nothing of it... that is, until I found out it is a real instrument. Did some research, found that it's been used in A LOT of songs, two of which many of us would know would be Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz and Midnight Cowboy by Faith No More. It's featured in a lot of jazz and reggae music.

Did you look up those songs to hear if you can hear it? Don't worry, I'll reveal soon. I also hope you didn't bother checking SPG's wiki to see what is played.

I'll tell you.

It's called a melodica. Essentially, it's a wind piano. Imagine a small keyboard with a blow tube. There are no reeds, as it's like a harmonica (but it plays like a piano). You can also use an extension tube so you can hold it in a more relaxed position, or for playing while having it lay flat on your lap (or desk).

I'm getting one. Why? I've always liked piano / keyboard. I've also always liked harmonicas, but just didn't have the patience to play them. I like the sound of this (more on that in a bit), it's easy to play, and... get this... well, let me say this first about the sound. There are three sounds you can purchase: tenor, alto, and bass. One of them sounds like an accordion (not getting that one). The one I am getting is going to be the 37 key tenor with extension tube; plays three octaves, and has the most keys. Prices are rather decent, starting at $25. Not bad!

Now, there is something I am planning on doing when I get mine. I am also going to be ordering a gas mask of a particular style (color to match the melodica). In case you can't figure, I'm going to be running the extension tube into the mask. With some wood paneling adhesive and some brass paint, this is going to look very steampunk.

Of course, I'll learn a few songs first, and see the feasibility on doing this. From what I cvould, or could not, find regarding my project, it hasn't been done before. I'm sure it has, it's too interesting an idea for it to be original, it's just that there aren't any pictures around that I've seen.

Okay, now for some sampling music. These three videos are by the same guy, all of which are of him playing the melodica. The first is a montage of 90's pop songs, well worth listening to just so you can see what the melodica is capable of. The second video is hium playing the song Knights of Cydonia by Muse (good song, hard song, just wanted to put it up here) and the last are of him playing video game theme songs... melodica and 8 bit are a perfect match (ever look up 8 bit songs on youtube? DO IT!)

BONUS VIDEO! Tossing this out there for Vader... rock / metal songs, melodica style!

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's musical experimentation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's musical experimentation   Soothsayer's musical experimentation EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Okay... ordered a melodica today, as well as an Israeli gas mask. Instrument should be here by Tuesday, the gas mask no later than a week after that. First song I'm going to learn is Chim Chim Cheree. What? Not a dark enough song? Apparently you never heard the version I just posted in a different thread...
Back to top Go down

Soothsayer's musical experimentation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Real Life :: Music-
Jump to: