COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

App Suggestions and Storage

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

App Suggestions and Storage Empty
PostSubject: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 am

So by now, most of the members on this thread know that I had ordered a tablet. I was able to pick it up from UPS yesterday after work, and now I am on the hunt for apps.

Last night I spent most of the evening pretty much just synching my various accounts on the thing (my emails, Facebook, Pandora), toying with the power settings, playing with the GPS (still trying to get that to work properly), and pretty much charging the thing. Tonight I hope to start downloading apps.

From our various verbal discussions, a lot of the apps are "try 'em to see if you like 'em". No harm in that. Downloaded an App yesterday that changes my battery meter into an image from Metal Gear (when you get spotted in the game, a meter appears that gradually goes down to indicate the severity of the enemy looking for you). Will probably delete that tonight.

Anyway, I am pretty much open to app suggestions. My tablet is wifi, I do not plan on getting the internet package for it. Right now, until I build my paypal funds back up, I'm looking for free and fun apps. Free books. Free video. Stuff like that. I know, once I start to familiarize myself with it, it'll be easier for me to find my own stuff... while at work, I'm on the computer googling certain apps as it is so that I have a basis of what I what (found some EVP apps with filters!).

If you guys have any suggestions as to what you like, let me know. Also, you guys know what I like, so if you know of a product I might enjoy, let me know!

Lastly, storage. The tablet I got has a 64G hard drive. I also have procured two 16G SD Cards. Within the day or two, the docking station arrives, allowing for more memory card connectivity. My question is this: do I put everything onto the hard drive, or should I try to put specific apps onto the cards?

Example: with my wanting to do paranormal investigations (open for viewing and joining at nlprs.forumotion.com/forum), should I think about putting paranormal related apps onto its own card?
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

First, for now let the market put apps in internal storage. Many apps won't allow installing to external media, and it will take some time for you to figure out which is which. Just another layer of confusion you don't need at the moment. I personally have never moved apps to external on my tablet or phone, because it just isn't needed. My external media are for storage of pics, vids, comics, ETC. Even ebooks are transferred to the internal storage with the reading app I use. 40ish books, and maybe a hundred apps... only about 1/3 of my 16GB internal storage being used. Apps are small.

If you want to organize, just put categories of apps on different screens. I have a screen for games, a screen for system apps, a screen for streaming video and audio (netflix, anime watcher, Tune-in). I have 7 or 8 screens on my phone, and 7 on my tablet. Also, on Android.... oh... 4.0 (???) and higher, you can drag app icons onto each other to make folders for more organization. A million and ten ways to organize without having to worry about transferring apps to cards and hoping they will still work.

NOW... a quick list of the BASICS I feel are important. Again, trial and error and lots of testing led me to these apps. Are there better ones now? Maybe, for some of them, but with updates my preferred apps still work pretty much flawlessly, so I have no need to go digging around for better.

Reading books: Aldiko (even has a built-in store with access to free classics now in the public domain)

Video: MX Player (It's the VLC of Android. Have not found a video this won't play)
Netflix
Anime Watcher
Youtube (you can pair your tablet to your PS3 youtube app to control PS3 youtube with your tablet!!!!)

Reading comics: Komik (very easy to set this up to read comics from an external card)

Drawing/Painting: Infinite Painter Free (MIGHT force close a lot... just doesn't like some hardware configurations)
Sketchbook Express for Tablets
LINE Brush
FlipaClip (frame-by animation. Thanks again for this find, Vader!)

Office type stuff: Kingsoft Office

And because I'm a lazy SOB, instead of listing any photo stuff I will first ask for details of your tablet's camera capabilities. So, front and back cameras? Just back? How many megapixels?

OH!!! Google Earth is kinda neat on the tablet!
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm

My tablet has both front and back cameras; 8MP rear auto-focus camera w/ flash, 2MP forward.

Been playing with the... don't know the app's name, came with the tablet... a note writing program. Has a painting feature on there. It is nice! 8 different line thicknesses, a variety of brushes, excellent color range.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Okay, you can find your own camera stuff, BUT you will probably want Pixlr-o-matic. It's free, from Autodesk (the makers of 3D Studio and Maya!!!). Once you download all the additional filters, you can make pretty much any freaky photo effect you've ever seen from those other apps. Aged, distorted, bad lighting, good lighting... pretty much endless. Takes apps like that one facebook bought ...um... Instagram, and many others, and puts the little each one does into one app of awesome. Even Mr. Bartnik will shudder at your photo intensity!

AND... for when you find the tablet's STOCK gallery app will NOT do everything you want, I recommend QuickPic.

That's something that it seems always comes up, no matter the android device. The stock apps just don't do exactly what you want. Video player plays everything, but can't do subtitles properly... install MX Player and never look back. Stock virtual keyboard has serious lag issues between pressing and the letters appearing... install Super Keyboard and never look back. Not enough space on the individual screens for your collection of app icons... install GO Launcher HD and never look back.

Heh... have a gallery that auto-scans every folder for pics, so when you bring in a comic that is split into image files for each page, suddenly your gallery is FILLED with a couple hundred comic pages in no particular order, and there's no way to tell NOT to include this folder or that... install QuickPic and give stock apps a mighty middle finger! QuickPic WILL let you specify which folders to include or exclude. YAY!

Oh, and best bet for games? Go to the store, go to games, swipe over to the free category, and just install anything that strikes your fancy. It doesn't hurt to try stuff. Many are senseless time wasters, many are halfway decent... but the fact remains there are thousands of games available to fill almost any person's desires. For a decent JRPG I recommend Inotia 4 (3 was pretty good too). A LOT of addictive racing games (you wouldn't think so, but they add some subtle crap that makes them addictive even to non racing guys). Grab some 3D skeeball and bowling for the wife, and maybe she would even like the idea of using a finger to flick objects into the plumber's plumber crack! Most of the games are very Kongregate or Armor games ish, and the biggest drawback is it seems every Android game developer has learned the art of the micro transaction (only $0.99 to upgrade your sword NOW instead of waiting five minutes!) The games may be free to play, but they do remind you how much easier it would be if you shelled a couple bucks their way. Still fun though!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyFri May 10, 2013 11:15 am

What I like are all these apps that send me pop-ups. I don't mind the ads that appear while watching streaming videos, as I know I'm getting it for free. What I am talking about are the banner ads and pop-ups and stupid little apps that are self installing; those apps, and their host app, don't last long.

Damn pop-ups.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:22 am

I have learned the hard way to always check permissions before installing. Something like facebook or google talk I can see using every permission Android can arrange, but if I want to play solitaire with no leaderboards and no social crap of any kind, and it requires permission to use my GPS and read all of my contact data, well I just don't think so. The games from Mobage are tons of fun, and a couple years ago they had relatively normal permission requests, but now they need access to every single permission on your phone/tablet. The games are fun, but I won't allow a collectible card game that should only be 'on' when I start it to 'automatically start at boot'. Just...NO.

By carefully keeping track of permissions, I have managed to avoid any extra status bar notifications or new icons for a long time now. Just one of those things about droid and eventually you get the groove of what to watch for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: App Suggestions and Storage   App Suggestions and Storage Empty

Back to top Go down

App Suggestions and Storage
Page 1 of 1