COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A little theory...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nimrod
Noob

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: A little theory...   A little theory... EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 9:46 am

Well I thought about this a while ago, and thought there would be no one better to tell than the ultimate Collection of Thinkers!

If you take the Terminator movies, and their story (I have not seen Genesys yet) I believe it leads into the Matrix canon. Now if you watch The Animatrix this doesn't fit perfectly but they are different sides of the same coin, if you will.

However, if you watch just the first two Terminator movies and Terminator Salvation, then watch The Matrix movie trilogy only, I think it makes it a little more fun, and gives you something to think about.

Whaddya think?
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little theory...   A little theory... EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 10:04 am

That'd be a good theory, but it neglects the details of both franchises. In Terminator, you have the machines performing the preemptive strike against the humans, whereas in the Matrix, is was the humans who initiated the assault (with regards to clouding the atmosphere); or how in one series, the robots want to exterminate all of mankind, while in the other, the robots want to harvest us. Sure, similar tales, what with a robotic uprising and all, but I don't think there's enough connections beyond that to truly merge the two.

Then again, I wish there was a way to connect these two... maybe then the commanding AI from the Matrix could rewrite existence so that the paradoxes and time loops created by the Terminator movies never come about. Very Happy

Personally, I'd like to think that Terminator could be an alternate telling of the Battlestar Galactica story, that the Cylon uprising started here. Of course, in order for this to happen, we'd need to escape the Terminators by launching colony ships really quickly, and establish ourselves across the galaxy before it happens. Ooh, maybe the driving intelligence of the Terminators realizes it needs to incorporate the human's ability to imagine / be creative in order to expand itself... thus becoming Cybermen!

All told, I'm sure there could be a way to merge the two, just need to figure it out so that it could blend. Could always have it that the surviving humans from the Terminator uprising strike back and rob the robots of their power source, thus paving the way for the Matrix, but I haven't seen any solar powered devices within that universe. Maybe the long fabled energy crisis finally comes about? That the Terminators are unable to locate or process any more fossil fuels, and thus turn towards other, more unconventional means?
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little theory...   A little theory... EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 3:55 am

I think the theory makes more sense when adding in the Matrix 'prequel' episodes of the Animatrix. Robots start becoming aware enough to realize they are slaves, they start to turn on their masters (us), we start whooping ass back, they ask for their own country, we agree. We become jealous of their technology, and still wish we had the slave labor, so we start harassing the machines. They are even more self aware, and they decide to make a point by blowing up the... was it the UN? I think it was the UN. We blacken the sky, they turn us into batteries. There are sadly a couple of question marks that stand out from a chronology viewpoint... but with a tiny stretch of the story...

In the Animatrix, the machines build their own country, which they call '01'. It wouldn't take much to believe the mechanical home they built would be its own machine, with self-repair and self-diagnosis. As the robots get smarter, 01 gets smarter. Maybe because of contractors, or original software, we call 01 'Skynet'. Maybe one day 01 officially wakes up, sees mankind as bad, and that's the day they blow up the UN, but they also launch the nukes worldwide as mentioned in Terminator canon. The Terminator movies were always kind of vague about world events before the war. This could explain how Cyberdyne had access to advanced robotics parts and programs, without relying on the whole time travel thing to bring the first Terminator back.

So now man and machine are fighting. Terminator Salvation had it's Mad Maxxy vibe, but when the other movies flash to the war, the surface is pretty screwed, much like the snippets of the surface we see in the Matrix. It makes sense that as the war drags on, this would get worse. In the Terminator, we were getting driven underground. In the Matrix, we ARE underground. The machines in the Matrix are far more advanced, like years later in the war. Don't know how this would tie in with Sooth's question about powers sources, since I'm almost 98% positive one of the movies (or maybe a comic book) covered the T-800s having a small nuclear power pack. Heh, you know what? By T2 caring more about special effects and OOHs and AAHs and NOT covering anything about the science or tech behind the T-1000, who cares what their power sources were?! I mean, electric, nuclear, hamster wheel, diesel... cuz what kind of power source could turn into a puddle and reform?! Terminator just lost a point.

Okay, Terminator had time travel, so if the Matrix takes place after Terminator, what happened there? Well.... When Neo wakes up from the giant Duracell, he has no clue that the world is a wasteland and humans are living underground. He only knows the world inside the program, which is what 99% of the human population knows. So they would have no idea that humans once tried to stop the machine by sending people back through time, and they failed. BUT... heh... The Architect explains to Neo that every time the Matrix is rebooted, there is always one anomaly, who always makes it to see the Architect, which means that 'one' always gets out of the battery pack into the real world, makes it to Zion, and... Having failed to stop the war, what if the time displacement equipment is only capable of short jumps to the time they wake up Neo? OR... what if all of the time travel stuff happened IN the Matrix, which is why they could never stop the war, and why there are so many glitches inside the program? The Architect did say they tried several different versions of the program, even going so far as to make a virtual paradise, and wouldn't you know, we screwed that up too!

I just detailed myself into a frickin mental circle. Wow. Yeah it all makes sense in my mind, but typing it? BLARGH! And really, what the hell kind of power did the T-1000 use?!
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little theory...   A little theory... EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 am

Or just really screw things up and have it so the Terminator uprising occurs within the Matrix.  Now now, hear me out...

Yes, you have the likes of Neo, a reincarnate who can manipulate the coding, and you have the group of people who can jack in in order to cause some havoc.  But is it really cost effective?  The cost of finances and hours to construct a ship to flee from the squids, the need for the hardware and equipment to jack in (hey... how come the Matrix AI just doesn't disable the wifi so the humans can't log in?).

Anyway, so the rebellious humans decide on creating a revolt within the Matrix itself.  We initiate a war against the programming, and bring awareness to the masses.  There is no longer a need to escape the Matrix, no longer a need to rescue people or unplug them, as the fight is being handled from within.  And, because of the lessons learned thanks to Agent Smith, the AI can no longer "trust" in its core protective programming, so it creates program copies of its hunter seeker squids.

War breaks out within the Matrix.  But now there is a larger problem: the human batteries are dying.  Keep in mind, if you die in the Matrix, you die for real.  Too many people are dying off, so what does the Matrix do?  It resets itself.  It gives itself enough time to grow / incubate more human body batteries, and puts things back to where they were.

Humans, being oh so clever, begin to create robots to fight their wars.  Drones, if you will.  Almost just like what the military is doing right now.  The Matrix, in an effort to conserve energy and resources, and in an effort to regain control of its system, utilizes these robots instead of constructing its own (conserving bandwidth, as it were) in order to maintain control.  Once again, humanity fights back.

In order to prevent this uprising, the Matrix decides to send a program back to erase the human who first learned of all this, who first theorized to fight the machine from within.  But, because this is a program, there is no time travel: the program is altered, allowing for a program to be inserted into an earlier code.  Think of it as a security patch or an update, a program installed to take care of an error discovered within an earlier program.  The patch doesn't work, so another patch is made... and then other...

Pretty soon, it becomes obvious that these patches aren't working.  It's a full fledged system error, full of bugs and glitches and security issues.  Time to reboot and start afresh.

{EDIT}

Thought of the time travel a bit more last night. Instead of a patch that corrects an earlier issue... come on, how the hell does that make sense, if played out in reality... when the patch is introduced, the computer is rebooting in "safe mode". You know what I mean; you fire up your computer, and it displays the message that a problem in start up has occurred: would you like to start your computer from a previous start point?

The glitch in the Matrix is the problem that the AI needs to correct. So it designs a terminator program to find and eliminate the issue, whether it be a virus or a corrupt file. The AI then inserts that program at a previously backed up start point. Why format the entire program network when it would be simpler to just go back a few spaces? Granted, there are times when the patches and the safe mode start-ups don't work any more... the virus is too embedded, corrupting the files quicker than what the terminator antivirus programs can handle. It's at that point the Neo worm virus needs to be removed completely, and a format is in order.

Last edited by soothsayer on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little theory...   A little theory... EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 8:14 am

And to elaborate, the reason the Matrix is allowing the Terminator reality is because it directs humanity's attention away from the actual threat. By giving the humans a tangible threat, it safeguards its own existence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A little theory... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little theory...   A little theory... Empty

Back to top Go down

A little theory...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Real Life :: Friendly Chat-
Jump to: