COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Iron Kingdoms RPG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 3:49 pm

So here we are once again.  The 'classic' Role Playing Game.  And by classic, I mean writing instruments, paper and personifying the characters in the same place and time.  Cans and bottles of beverages, bags and plates of munchies and who knows what else....

This post/thread is just so I can convey to everyone involved (if someone doesn't have access to electronic devices Shocked I'm sure that they will get the information another way) important stuff about the game.  We can also discuss or post questions, blah blah blah...

Here are a few things that I want to get out to everyone. (Some things may be redundant of the core rule book, but I want to expand on some of the things....)

========================================================

There are 5 basic steps for creating your characters.

The first step is to select the race. For now, I would like to stick with the seven core races which are: Human, Dwarf, Gobber, Iosan, Nyss, Ogrun and Trollkin. Any of these races will work just fine!  With possible future installments I could see us expanding to other races if/when they become available if there's a need and more so if we decide to keep playing in this realm.

Secondly, choose the archetype for your character.  They are Gifted, Intellectual, Mighty and Skilled.  I look at this as the skeleton of your characters being.  It basically defines, at the core, who he or she is.  As the book states, it defines the role of your character in the game.

Next is to choose two initial careers. There are 30 to choose from, so I'm rather excited to see what everyone decides upon!!!  Just be sure to keep an eye on the 'Required Race' and 'Required Archetype' columns on page 118 of the core book. Very Happy

Now we're on to Increasing your stats.  'It is a good idea to have a rough concept for your character before starting the character creation process. If you know your character is going to be some type of gunslinger, it’s a good idea to spend advancement points increasing his Poise, since that impacts his accuracy with firearms. If your character is going to be an expert tracker, think about increasing Perception so his Detection rolls are more likely to succeed. If you want durability in combat, increase Physique, Speed, Agility, or Perception to increase your character’s Defense and Armor.'

The fifth step is to purchase equipment and stuff, weapons, armor and gear.  Don't forget to purchase ammo if you have a ranged weapon of some sort. There is no need to buy the day to day items listed in the book: 'All characters in the Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Roleplaying Game are considered to possess a basic set of equipment that covers their essential day-to-day needs. This intrinsic equipment includes things like traveling clothes, utensils for eating, a canteen or water skin, ammo pouches, coin purses, and a pack. These ordinary items do not need to be listed and tracked on a character sheet, and they confer no game effects or bonuses.'

I highly suggest that all of you confer with each other about your characters.  I have decided that you know each other and more importantly, have worked with each other.  On page 151 of the core book, they start talking about 'Adventuring Companies'.  There are seven listed but I have narrowed it down to 3.  They are: Intrepid Investigators, Law Dogs and Mercenary Charter.  I want all of you to decide together and choose one.  I narrowed it down to those 3 since we are new to this system and a little rusty with role-playing.  After it is chosen, don't forget to apply all restrictions/benefits to your character.  If you want to redo your character based on your decision, I ask that you run that past me if it's extreme.  I will work out the details of the Adventuring Company, I just need to know which one.

The main reason for the explanations is not because I don't think that you can do it on your own, it's just that I wanted to make things easier for everyone.  Not for the character build, but for when the game starts.  And when I said 'for everyone' I mainly meant for me.  There are times when someone made things soooooo freaking difficult. Bash Head Bash Head Bash Head

So have fun!!  Please don't forget that I am asking for 2 completely different characters from everyone, not the same character with a different name. Face Slap

Last edited by VaderXanth on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : lost some words, found them where they shouldn't have been. .. ...)
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Responding to this post so that you know people are invested in this. I am currently going through the rulebook right now, looking over things and trying to imagine the character... so far, I am really feeling an intellectual Iosan mage hunting spy or a gifted human investigating ranger. I'll have to flesh these out a bit a see the characters, figure them out.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptySat Jun 11, 2016 9:10 am

As of right now I have 90% of a character sheet done for a skilled Nyss Ranger/Rifleman with a fully thought out (though not detailed) back story.

I also have in the works a gifted human or Trollkin Gun Mage/Adventurer.

Looking at a potential 3rd idea....

You know what I'd like to see? Reading so far I don't think it's in the realm of playable characters, but picture a dude in a trenchcoat/duster, collar up... huge brimmed hat down so the only part of his face visible is the goggles. On his shoulder rides a clockwork falcon (actual falcon sized, not some 5 foot steamjack) WITH an ARC node. This guy does some twin pistol pewpew shit, but also is a spellcaster, partially controlling the bird's actions, while using the ARC node to extend the range of his spells and mark targets. MAYBE... maybe let him have some acrobatics. So now he dives, grips one pistol in his teeth so he can somersault off one hand while shooting with the other, while chanting (yes, around the pistol) to summon a fog of war around his bird.

EDIT: Vader let slip that part of his reasoning behind the 2 character thing is he's hoping at least one player has the sense to be a healer. When asked what he's gonna do if we don't take a healer, he said we're going to have a gobber healer NPC chasing us around. Joking? Perhaps....  My third potential character idea mentioned above was an attempt at adding some healing, and you know what? NO!

Maybe...MAYBE I can squeeze an alchemy career in with some other career. There are healing stuffs involved with alchemy that are actually safe compared to magik. However, making the good healing stuffs requires a full alchemical lab, which is damn expensive. BUT, all the alchemical ingredients and full potions can be purchased, so that could be an option until enough coin was saved to buy a lab. I am heavily leaning towards alchemy, as the second tier healing tincture has few side effects.

Why no magic? I went through the entire spell list, and found ONE spell involving healing. It was called heal, just a little FYI. Peruse this description:
Target friendly incapacitated character B2B with the spellcaster
is no longer incapacitated and regains 1 vitality point in each
aspect. The character no longer suffers from the results of his
most recent roll on the Injury Table (p. 217). The target character
becomes knocked down. Each time a character is targeted by
this spell make a d6 roll on the Price of Healing Table below,
adding  +1  to  the  roll  for  each  time  the  character  has  been
targeted by this spell after the first time.

Now, go to page 240 in the book and skim through the almost half page box with the Price of Healing table. I don't want to be healed by magical means!!!! Shocked

So I will take some alchemy, unless Sooth has a better idea, and we will just have to see if Vader will allow some downtime activities. Example, if we get a "You make camp for the night in the forest and nothing happens," maybe I can do a "I spend 4 hours searching for alchemical herbal juice oils. If we spend the night at an inn in the big city and nothing bad happens, maybe I can do a "I rent 4 hours use at the local public alchemical station and craft some tinctures from my herbal juice oils." Much much safer than healing Sooth's spy and having him/her go dumb for 12 hours, or worse it's hard to spy when you're marked! Privateer Press, WTF?!
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Gifted Trollkin Alchemist Explorer
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 pm

As I await fleshed out characters, I'd like to draw attention to page 292 of the core rule book. The part in focus will be the boxed in area where it states that materials equating to 1gc can be gathered within one hour. Of course I could roll a die for a better random chance. With us all learning, I can see the first few sessions being non lethal. Wouldn't want to kill you all off at the start. bounce
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 am

Do your worst, every character I create starts with the 'summon bigger fish' spell. Razz
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 am

With talking to Vader yesterday, and with wanting to make a character or personality type different than what I have played before, I decided to go totally random with this character generation.  With random.org open ion one tab and the rpg book open in another, I am making my characters... now.  Archetype skills are also randomly generated.

CHARACTER ONE
Female
Iosan
Mighty - Bounding Leap
Pistoleer / Ranger

CHARACTER TWO
Male
Nyss
Skilled (was Intellectual, but saw in the racial profile that that archetype isn't available to them) - Cagey
Highwayman / Thief

Admittedly, I am a bit fuzzy on the career abilities.  On one hand, the book says we start off with the starting abilities and skills, but on the other, under the Iosan description, she gets to "begin the game with an additional ability selected from one of their careers." Does this mean I get to chose an ability from the non-starting table on that career's page?

Also, are we part of an adventuring company (page 151), or do circumstances thrust us together? I believe Vader made mention of this in the opening post, I just can't see it right now, and as such, will edit this last bit later if that be the case.
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 11:32 pm

You are part of an adventuring company.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Kingdoms RPG   Iron Kingdoms RPG Empty

Back to top Go down

Iron Kingdoms RPG
Page 1 of 1