COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nerf Gun Customization

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Nerf Gun Customization Empty
PostSubject: Nerf Gun Customization   Nerf Gun Customization EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 am

Nerf Gun Customization
40K builds

Lately, Vader and I have been discussing the latest edition of Warhammer 40,000, otherwise known simply as 40K. Within those discussions, I made mention on how we should make customized Nerf guns for our respected armies, to which Vader agreed. Note that this isn't a challenge, or if it is, it wasn't intended to be. I merely suggested this as a means to get me motivated to do something with my collection of Nerf and other toy guns, originally purchased so I could salvage sound chips / lights, and or customize them for various costume props and steampunk related themes. Yesterday, we exchanged photos of the guns we are going to customize, which I will be posting shortly.

The purpose of this thread is to showcase what has been created, in keeping with a 40K army list. If you, dear reader, would like to participate, by all means do so! The final product just needs to look like something that would be used by an existing army (ie, one with a playable codex). I don't know if scratchbuilds should be allowed or not, as that would put it into an entirely different crafting category; for the sake of the topic, try to utilize a Nerf (or other toy gun) as the base for your build.

Also, do not feel as if you need to post a step-by-step; I might, but that's because I enjoy stuff like that, like being able to see the creation process and get ideas from. I do ask that you post a before and after picture, those are always cool... and if you can, the production name of your gun, along with the army it belongs to. If you do post an instructional, please include a title line with step number in your post, for clarity. With that said...

Soothsayer - Nerf Speedload 6: T'Au Empire
Nerf Gun Customization 20170710

Vader - Nerf Demolisher 2 in 1: Orc
Nerf Gun Customization Cameri10

It was revealed that both guns were chosen do to the fact that they already resemble the weapons used by those respective armies; Vader and I joked about how the guns will pretty much build themselves. I was going to post pictures of what the army's weapons look like, but decided against it; feel free to look things up. There is no time limit for this, as this isn't a competition.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Nerf Gun Customization   Nerf Gun Customization EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 am

Soothsayer's T'au Conversion
Step One: Proof of Concept

The T'au, for those who are not familiar with the 40K universe, are a young but highly technologically advanced race. The thing that drew me to them was that their army shares a lot of visuals from mecha themed anime. In keeping with how the T'au present themselves, I felt that my Nerf conversion could use some electronics.

I've dabbled with wiring up models before; I've inserted sound chips and speakers so that tanks could actually "shoot", as well as putting in lights, so this isn't really new. With this conversion, what I'm hoping to do is... here, let me post a picture.

Nerf Gun Customization 20170711

As you can see, in the front of the Speedload there are two circles towards the bottom, and as my calipers can attest, they match the diameter of a flashlight and a laser pointer. In fact, I can't help but think that the designers of the Speedload wanted to create that visual; it just seems too convenient. Anyway, I may not be using that particular flashlight, it's just in the shot to give a reference... and I am definitely not going to use that laser pointer; the one I'm using has a length of cord with a button on the end, the kind you'd normally see packaged with an airsoft pistol. I have one lying around, I just have to go through my tubs of extra bits.

My intention is to run the laser pointer's wiring inside the gun; I'll be cutting the wire in half, drilling a hole in the handle, so the pointer button (and only the button) would be visible and placed where my thumb is at. With the flashlight, I'm thinking a press style button can replace the circular formation in front of the trigger guard (as is seen in the original photo), or someplace similar. I really won't know until I take this apart.

I'm also considering adding a soundboard to this. There's plenty of room, I would just have to remove the firing mechanism. I think. Again, would have to take this apart first.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Nerf Gun Customization   Nerf Gun Customization EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Soothsayer's T'au Conversion
steo two: the dismantle

This past Friday I found myself child and wife free, so I cooked a pizza, popped in a Godzilla movie (vs Biollante), settled into a comfy chair, and proceeded to take apart my Nerf gun of choice. You might say I was multitasking, with all that going on. Handled it rather well, if I do say so myself.

Nerf Gun Customization 20170714

I couldn't believe how much space was already occupied. In order to keep this a working Nerf gun, the only areas I had available to me were within the handle, the space in front of the trigger, and a small space behind the trigger / under the spring housing. I thought I thought perhaps I could store batteries within the black cylinder above the thumb groove, but that's where the orange plunger slides into while cocking. Also note that, where I wanted to place the flashlight and the laser pointer, what I believed to be an open space is actually only an inch or so wide (as can be seen in the above image, the gun half on the right).

Seems I won't be able to keep this a firing weapon after all.

Nerf Gun Customization 20170715

I decided to completely strip the Speedload, or at least everything that my new vision wouldn't allow. I'm keeping the ammo slide in place (orange part, top right gun half) so that when I fill this in with putty or whatever, there'll be something solid already in place to adhere to. MMy plan going forward is this:

1. The laser pointer will still go into the gun as originally planned. The bad part is that, because the laser's casing is going through a screw join, I may have to glue that area. The wiring for the laser will run internally, with the button coming outside of the gun handle, place where my middle finger would be. I'll have to drill a small hole in the handle, cut the wire in half, and then splice it back together in the inside.

2. The flashlight. Going to need to completely take apart the flashlight! The bulb and reflective lens will go where I need it to, with soldered wire going from the bulb to wherever the batteries will be (I have an idea, still thinking things through), and then through a push button that will be located on the right side of the gun, in front of the trigger. If you look at the original post's picture, you'll see the area I'm talking about... kinda roundish.

3. Maybe a sound board and speaker, with another light that activates when the sound comes on. Speaker and board would go where the plunger system used to be; the light maybe closer to the gun barrel's end. The button for this will be directly behind the trigger, internally, just a simple contact point.

4. The batteries are either going into the black cylinder that (formerly) held the orange plunger, or up front by a slide down door. Look at the original image, and you'll see the dark grey hatch within the yellow panel. By the panel would be the easiest choice.

5. Might have to weigh down the handle of the gun, just to give it a better feeling balance.

Just need to get an older style flashlight, one with a plastic body and bulb (instead of the LED variety)!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerf Gun Customization   Nerf Gun Customization Empty

Back to top Go down

Nerf Gun Customization
Page 1 of 1