COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Soothsayer's Skorne

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Battle Report, May 1 2016

Went to Green Bay today and played a game of War Machine.  Though I cannot honestly describe this as a real battle report, it does cover the basics.

I was involved in a scenario match, the one rolled being a three objective match, to last seven rounds. The armies were to be fifteen points. I played Skorne, my opponent played Khador. I rolled highest, but passed the initial deployment / first move to my opponent.

My army was lead by the mounted warlock Xerxis, with a titan Canoneer being bonded to him. This was nine points. Next I had a five member squad of minion Gatormen controlled by a Taskmaster; combined, this was eleven points. I know, someone reading this is going to say that this comes out to 20 points, but keep in mind the warlock or warcaster adds / removes points, and in this case Xerxis gives fives points for a warbeast... so, all told, fifteen points. My opponent asked if I would agree to going up two more points, to which I agreed by assigning a four man squad of beast handlers onto the Canoneer.

I couldn't tell you what I faced against. I believe he led his forces with Sasha, had a four man squad of Widowmakers, one heavy warjack, and a five member squad of some heavy infantry (their shields had a gun in them). Oh! That squad also had advance deployment, allowing them to be  placed last.

Round one wasn't much, just getting into position. Objects were along the center of the table, one in the middle and the other two in the middle of both sides. My Gatormen were in my right corner, my warcaster and Canoneer just right of center.  The opponent placed his Widowmakers on his left corner (upper right for me, above my Gatormen); his heavy warjack and Sasha in the middle; he split his heavy infantry into two teams of two and three... the two on his right corner (my upper left) and his three between Sasha and the Widowmakers.

Without doing rounds, this is what occurred.  I moved my Gatormen up along the table's edge to within a couple inches of the objective, all the while taking pot shots from the Widows. While they suffered no casualties (being eight life points each), one Gatorman did suffer a wound.  Ooh.

My opponent marched his infantry to the center marker, leaving Sasha behind, but still within her control range. He moved his warjack between the center objective and the one to my left, but closer to the center. The objective on my left he took with the two man group of infantry. I slowly marched Xerxis up, hugging to a ruined building and I marched the Canoneer to a rocky outcropping for cover. While marching forward, the warjack and my Canoneer took shots at each other.

Here's where things got fun.

My Gatormen decided that it would be better to safeguard the objective by slaying the Widowmakers first. I ran my Gatormen into that squad; but, because they were run, I could not attack. However, because the 'makers were now in melee, they couldn't leave without having a free attack done to them. The Widows tried to stab me with their swords, but only one penetrated the gator's hide, causing two points of damage. On my turn, the gator's wiped out the squad of 'makers, suffering no further damage.

My opponent, seeing what the gators just did, for some reason decided to move Sasha away from combat, running he to the left side of the table. He then moved the three heavy infantry from the middle of the table to act as a wall between the gators and Sasha; he placed his warjack on the center objective.

Here I used Xerxis feat ability: everything I control is consisted to be in my control area, and for one turn, all units in my control area gain a die for their attack and damage rolls.

The taskmaster assigned to the Gators used "enrage" to grant them a +2 to strength as they moved in against the Khador infantry. Having two melee attacks (bite and their weapon), I destroyed that unit with no damage received. Sadly, the remains two squad members, parked on the final objective, passed their morale check.

After taking another shot at his 'hack with my Canoneer, I charged the warjack with Xerxis, bringing it down to three boxes unchecked.

Preparing myself for a winning round... one more successful on the 'jack would have destroyed it for certain... my opponent smiles and declares himself the winner. All seven rounds were done, and he had that one objective on the left.

I bowed to his victory of course, but I walked away with the satisfaction that I devestated his forces, only having lost two beast handlers to his warjack's ranged attacks. And, with the sheer brutality of the Gatormen's attacks, I ordered a second squad.

Niw, if I can get the picture to upload, you'll see what a hungry squad of Gators looks like when they swarm some 'makers.

Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 20160513

{EDIT - Opponent's army}

Sasha
four man squad of Widowmakers
five man squad of Shocktroopers
Destroyer (Khador heavy warjack)

Looking at the information provided on battlecollege.org, it looks to me that my opponent probably wasn't quite sure on how to use his troops effectively, or he didn't go for a unified force or something. Almost as if he saw each unit as a stand alone. I could be mistaken. Can our resident Khador player check these out and tell me if they make for a good force?

Last edited by soothsayer on Mon May 02, 2016 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Why do the pictures load upside down from one's phone?
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 7:46 am

Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 20160514

Four standard gatormen grunts with the gatorman shaman (he's the one looking as if he's going to give a hug), with the task master right in the middle of the bunch. Before swarming the Widowmakers, the shaman prayed / cast the ability "March", granting pathfinder for that turn; I wanted to clear that hedge that the 'makers were hiding behind. And that one Gatorman standing to the side of the hedge? Yeah, he's actually on top of it, overlooking those two Khadors.

With two melee attacks with a Power of 5 and P+S of 13, they made short work of the snipers.

Looking over the card (reading War Room), I failed to notice that, while engaging an enemy model, I would gain +2 ARM. Huh. I'll have to remember that next time.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Not really a post. I found this link that shows all of the Skorne cards for Mk3, and I'm just posting that link here for reference, at least until my deck comes in.

https://imgur.com/a/DFJ8v
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 9:45 am

While I await the arrival of my mk3 battle box... which in itself is kind of depressing because all the Skorne forums I go to all show people painting the new models and playing the new rules, and I'm over here waiting for June 29 to roll around, which is when my distributor gets the pre-ordered stuff...  I have a modeling question.

In this battle box, I get a new warlock: Beastmaster Xekaar.  Or, as the Skorne players have been calling him, balloon man.  Why?  Well, he kind of resembles... he looks like... here.  You can tell me what he looks like.

Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 Bell-o10

So anyway, I want to customize this guy. I've been buying a lot of different sized and colored jewelry chains, and what I would like to do is remove the chain / linked portion of the model's whips and replace them with metal chain. I could go the Lobo route and have the chain wrapped around the gauntlet, but those spikes would be in the way. My idea then is to somehow super glue the chains in place, but would that work? Is there enough strength in the glue to support the weight of the chain?

Yes, I know the glue would be strong enough, but what I mean is, is there enough of a contact point between the links to support a chain that is being suspended at an upright angle. The model itself is made of plastic, so there isn't any worry there about weight or tensile strength.

I may reposition the arms as well, who knows. Would like to suspend the chain, but if it turns out I can't, no worries... I can always use the chain to measure the model's reach.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 9:16 am

Xekaar mod

I've went ahead and started the modification of Xekaar, namely the replacement of his whips with some jewelry chains.

Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 Xekaar10

With the first image, you can see Xekaar and the two chain choices I was going with; one looks like a normal chain, the other looks more like what Xekaar is wielding.  While the second would probably have been easier to glue, the movement was restricted, so I elected to go with the first choice.  The second image just shows the removal of the part to be replaced.

The third image shows the new whips in all their glory.  I positioned the whips on wax paper, then dropped super glue over the chain to maintain it's shape / position.  It worked, kind of.  While several sites did say that super glue will not stick to wax paper, it seems that, if enough is poured onto it, the wax paper will absorb the glue... causing whatever it is being glued to adhere to the paper.  Kind of.  I was able to remove a lot of the wax paper, but the links weren't quite solid yet, so I didn't try too hard to clean things up. I'm thinking a combination of picks and emery board to clean things up, nothing a bit of paint can't fix.

The next bit of modding is going to be Xekaar's upper arms. They're posed at an upward angle, but I want it so that one arm is extended and the other pulled back. That'll be a simple process, just a bit of cutting and gluing. After that, when it all dries, I'll attach the arms / whips.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 11:48 am

I'm a dead man

Over the past few days, I've been participating on an online bidding war for a massive Skorne army.  I had believed I lost, as I received eBay's "you've been outbid" notification.  Saw the fellow went a couple dollars over my amount, and one part of me was relieved while another was sad to see such a massive collection slip through my fingers.

That was with two hours to spare.

At the five minute mark, I said Off my Sheep! it.  I rose my bid by $10.  I was once again the highest bidder (much to my surprise).  A minute rolls by.  Another minute.  Counting down the seconds.  "Surely someone will outbid me," I thought.  But no.  Come the last remaining second, I found out I won.  What did I win?  Here's a list of what was being sold:

Quote :
Warlocks
Dominar Rasheth
Lord Arbiter Hexeris
Master Aescetic Naaresh
Void seer Mordikaar
Master tormentor Morghoul
Supreme Archdomina Makeda
Tyrant Xerxis

Warbeasts
Agonizer
2 Aradus Soldier
1 Archidon
2 Cyclops Brute
1 Bronzeback Titan
2 Titan Sentry
1 Molik Kahn
2 Basilisk Drake
1 Basilisk Krea
1 Despoiler
1 Tiberion
1 Aradus Soldier
Gladiator Multi-Kit (Sentry Parts used) new in box

Solos
Hutchuck
Saxon Orrik
2 Paingiver Bloodrunner Master Tormentor
Tyrant Rhadiem
Orin Midwinter
Void spirit
3 Paingiver Task Master (1 New in Box)
2 Willbreaker
2 Extoller Soulward

Units
10 Venator Slingers
5 Praetorian Ferox
10 Praetorian Swordsmen
6 Paingiver Bloodrunners
10 Croak Raiders
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer
10 Nihilators
6 Paingiver Beast handlers
10 Croak Raiders (New in box)
10 Venator Reivers (New in box) + Unit Attachment - (New in box)
Venator Flayer Cannon (New in box)
6 + 4 Cetratii
4 + 4 Incindiarii
4 + 4 + 4 Arcuarii

Battle engines
1 Siege Animantrix (New in box)

Other
2 Sets of PP Skorne Tokens
10 Custom Skorne dice
MK3 card set
3 KR Cases that hold the whole army, bar 2 Sentinels / Archidon

This was a great find for me, as this represents damn near the entire Skorne faction, plus some minions and mercenaries.  And even though I don't play that often, I do like the models for the model's sake, so I was able to completely flesh out my collection.

On the flip side, I think I'll be selling off some of my other armies.  I've a good collection of Tyranids that I was working on as a secondary army, plus a bunch of Space Marine stuff.  Really don't or need them, not with all the Tau I have.

{edit}

Just looked up the pricing on everything. Going by the cheapest dollar amount, without shipping or handling, I made out big time on this. Makes me feel better, to say the least. Still going to sell off the tyranid force and space marines I have... not because of this transaction, but because I have no need for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Skorne   Soothsayer's Skorne - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soothsayer's Skorne
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Traditional Games :: Warmachine/Hordes-
Jump to: