COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Walk Across Lake Winnebago

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Walk Across Lake Winnebago Empty
PostSubject: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago EmptyThu Nov 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Since 2013 (?) I've been participating in the Mackinac Bridge Walk, all but the last couple years when they changes the rules: you can't walk the full distance anymore, you can only walk halfway and turn around, and there aren't any buses to bring you back. What's the fun in that? Since then, I've been looking for something to fill that gap, something that involves walking, something scenic, something that I can say "I did that!". Found that thing last year while watching the news.

That thing? Walking across frozen Lake Winnebago.

The event,  Walk Across Lake Winnebago, taking place on the first Saturday of every February, is a fund raiser for various groups such as the Neenah Animal Shelter, Menasha's and Neenah's K9 Unit, the Neenah-Menasha Water Rescue team, {their} local fire departments, water rescue and dive teams. Worthy causes all around.

You can find a lot of useful information at the link provided above, but the essentials are:

• You meet at Vinland Still & Grill, where buses will take you to Bobber's Bar beginning at 10a (you walk back to Vinland)
  • You can start walking as soon as you get dropped off, just keep in mind porta potties will not be placed until 10a
  • There will be porta potties set up every mile
  • There may by food / drink booths along the route, but it is unknown who, where, or what
  • Bring appropriate clothing and items
  • The walk is about 9 miles, though the website says 10

Anyway, I am really loving the idea of doing this! I'm already planning on going February 1, 2020. I'll probably... no, I will be... spending the night down there the evening prior. Registration is already open.

So. Who's going with me?
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am

All set

Registration is complete: I am officially attending this event. I also ordered a sweatshirt, figuring what the heck, why not. All told, this event has cost $67. Cost could have been reduced by not ordering attire, or even different attire (short or long sleeved shirts).

Giving consideration to spending the night down in Neenah the evening prior. It's only a 1.5 hour drive from home, but if the walk starts at 10a, would have to leave at 8a. Then there's possible adverse weather conditions (it is going to be winter, after all). Add driving down either dressed in the gear, or needing to get dressed down there... might be easier to spend the night, be rested.

But this map together a few months back to give me a better understanding of things. Might be interesting to some (then again, it probably won't). Ignore the northern drive route, had to put that on there so I could find the start / end points. The halfway point looks to be between the F and e in February.

Walk Across Lake Winnebago Waw10
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am

Reservations

I've reserved a room at the Best western Premier Bridgewood Hotel Resort for Friday January 31. I do not want to be driving 1.5 hours (in good weather) before this walk... want to be rested. Anyway, for anyone wishing to join, this room has two queen sized beds and one pull-out sofa. If I had known just how nice this room was beforehand, I'd have tried to spend an extra night or two down there!

"Why such a large room?" you might be wondering. Easy: with my AAA membership, there was only a $5 difference between this and what I was initially going to get. Figured why not.

Now, either on January 25th or 26th, I have to drive down to Paynes Point Hook & Spear Fishing Clubhouse in Neenah in order to pick up my hoodie; if you register and want attire, you have to register and order before January 5th; ordering after that date will prevent you from getting a shirt. If you do order, I'm more than willing to have passengers.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Preparation

My my, time certainly flies! Three more Saturdays until the big event (the third Saturday being the event). And what have I to show for it?

Absolutely nothing.

I meant to gradually work up to walking greater and greater distances, but with me being the way I am... lazy... I didn't. And then I decided it isn't so much distance that I should concern myself with, but rather doing more walking in general to loosen up the joints and to get everything working properly again. Really didn't do that, either. So now, with three weeks remaining, I begin the actual walking.

And I have to say, I'm not doing too bad.

I'm going to attempt to walk two plus miles at work during the noon hour, and another two or three miles in the evening when I get home. Then, on the weekends, I should be able to do either what I'm doing during the week, or I can go for distance and hike to Middle Inlet (roughly five miles from home). This way, I'll build up my energy, plus prepare for duration. I'm old, older, older and fat, so I don't expect myself to be able to do the full ten miles in one go, but if I land up taking a break every now and then, that won't be bad.

I'm figuring that, at the most, this will take me five hours. That's be two miles and a twenty minute break per hour. That sounds like a bit much, but that's why I'm working these next few weeks on timing and distance.

Shopping List Note that this section isn't anything other than my thinking aloud, as it were. I've already got everything I need, except where noted.

1. I ordered a pair of spring hinged knee braces to help ease what I expect will be some swollen knees when all is said and done. They should be arriving early next week, giving me plenty of time to try and test them out. I figure it'd be worth it for the price; should they not be up to snuff, I'll need to pick up some knee socks or wraps or sleeves or whatever they're called. That's going to be what determines if I make it or break it. Well, that and sore feet, but the feet thing will come over these next couple weeks. My knees though? Ugh.

2. Balaclava mask is going to be a must! I've been wearing my Search and Rescue jacket... a big ol' dayglow yellow safety jacket you can get at Menards... to see how it'll handle the temperature. Not too bad, walked three miles in 11* weather and I was fine. However, it's got one of those hoods that rolls up into the collar, and that is not comfortable at all, it does nothing to keep the back of the neck warm. I'm either going to have to wear a collared shirt under the jacket, or I'll be needing a nice long balaclava. The mask would make more sense.

3. Warm thermal socks. I hate hot feet, but I can't see clunking around for ten miles in thick winter boots (let alone attempting to get cleats on said boots). So I'll be wearing my thermal hiking boots. They've got some insulation in them, and they've been doing pretty good in keeping the cold out, but since I'll be on ice, I figure a little extra protection won't hurt any. Plus the ticker socks will give some extra cushion, so there's that.

4. Nylons. Well, nylons or thermal underwear. Something to go underneath the jeans I plan on wearing. I remember playing in the snow as a kid, how red and painful my legs would become. While I won't be rolling in the snow, there will be cold, and there will be wind. Jeans will help with most of it, but need that one extra layer, just in case.

5. Now that I think about it, do I even want to use my S&R jacket? I know they always say to dress in layers for winter activities. With the jacket I have, it does have a lining that can come undone... should I opt for a long sleeved shirt, a fleece hoodie, and then a wind breaker? Or just a T-shirt and my S&R jacket? Whatever I can fit into a backpack, I suppose.

6. Sunglasses and goggles. Sunglasses because of glare or snow blindness; goggles to keep my eyes protected. Just wish there was some way to keep goggles from fogging up.

7. If I am playing Pandora (using data), my phone's battery consumes 20% in 40 minutes. If I plan, at the most, a five hour hike, my battery will be dead by time I finish. Don't want that, as I want the GPS locator function to work; I can expect greater battery consumption. This means I either pack my phone solar panel (great investment, that was!) or a couple battery packs. I'm thinking the battery packs.

8. Consumables. Beef jerky and water. Enough said.

9. Cleats. I've got two different types of cleats. One looks like metal shark teeth attached to a chain, the other is filed rivets on a rubber slip on. I guess I'll have to give both of these a test before I decide.

10. Cash. There's going to be stations along the route, so I might as well enjoy a break while drinking something. Also, if I decide to quit, I can hitch a ride across and at least offer the driver something for the trouble of hauling my arse.

11. I've never been big on it, but I might as well bring some chapstick. Could come in handy.

12. Hat. Hats? Nah, just a hat, since I'm bringing a mask with. A scarf perhaps. Gloves (duh). Backpack.

I've got everything except for the thermal underwear. Looking pretty good!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am

CANCELLED

As of this morning, the Walk has been cancelled. Safety first!

Walk Across Lake Winnebago Walk10

But hey, there's always next year... and since I've already purchased or acquired all the stuff I think I'd need, it'll be that much cheaper. Also, Vader promised to go if it was cancelled, so...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walk Across Lake Winnebago   Walk Across Lake Winnebago Empty

Back to top Go down

Walk Across Lake Winnebago
Page 1 of 1