COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail Empty
PostSubject: the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail   the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail EmptyThu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

TWAT, or the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, is a 600 to 630 mile trail leading from the Wisconsin-Illinois border to Lake Superior, originally meant for adventure motorcycles. Okay, I can't really say meant for bikes, as this trail consists of public roads and trails, but rather it was originally organized (the trail route) for bikes. But... but... many an off road or cross country vehicle have taken to this "trail", so...

Not that an off road vehicle is needed, mind you. From what I'm reading, 50% is paved, 40% is gravel, and 10% is dirt/sand/forest roads. A 4x4 vehicle isn't even really needed (I've seen pictures of an old Lincoln driving it), though it may come in handy depending on road conditions. There are numerous scenic sites along this route, with hotels, motels and campgrounds scattered throughout. This link, https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=43.71759559730423%2C-90.28906913267105&z=7&mid=1Nae-PLSd3fWohZ8MFp-cbuHJEj4 , shows camping and hotels sites along the route; note it may be out of date.

There are a few links out there detailing the same stuff, but I've found two that have been rather useful:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-trans-wisconsin-adventure-trail.158756/

https://lonewolfexpeditions.blogspot.com/p/trans-wi-trail-overland.html?m=1

I'm going to do this. Yep, I think I found something to do next year with my FJ Cruiser; things may be a little difficult with the Doghouse. Pack up a tent and some gear and just go. But for how long?

No matter which end I start on, I'll have to take into consideration an extra two days: one to get there, one to get back. Sure, it's just driving, but it's going to take a few hours just to get at the starting point. How many days, how many days... suppose it depends on just what there is all to see. Let me bring up the map and - oh my dear gawd. There's a lot. 20+ "natural areas" and preserves, not to mention the general sites you'll see in passing.

This is going to take some planning.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail   the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 pm

The Plan

It is my intention to do this during the Memorial Day weekend; I took a vacation day for that Friday and Tuesday, giving me five days. Figure one day to drive to the starting point, two or three days to drive and explore, and one day to get back home from the end point.

I'm going to have to continue this tomorrow. Work's getting in the way of life.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail   the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail EmptyTue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am

Costs

Going to figure out what the cost of this trip would be, and I'm going to do so here... my thoughts, ideas, intentions. So, without further ado...

GAS - Using my FJ Cruiser, I go to and from work four times on a tank of gas (4.5 times, but it's good to average down). Each tank costs about $36, so... 205 on a tank (it's actually more, but remember, averaging down). The trail starts on the Illinois - Wisconsin border on highway 84, so I'll mark the start at Galena Illinois; trail ends at Point Detour Campground, Wisconsin.

Home to Galena: @280 miles
Galena to Point Detour Campground: @630 miles
Point Detour to Home: @245 miles

Roughly 1160 miles, divided by a tank (205), times tank cost ($36)... $203 in gas. Oooh, cool... cheapest vacation I've planned so far!

FOOD - Using the Federal standards, the per diem rate for food in Wisconsin is $55.53 a day. Since I usually buy food items beforehand, I don't expect things to be too pricey (plus, I've got a lot of MREs, so there's that). If I plan for the full duration of five days, cost would be roughly $250 in food. Seems a bit excessive, but that's what I'll plan for (always good to over estimate basic needs).

EMERGENCY - None, really. I've been maintaining my vehicle, all tires are good (thought admittedly I have six more months before trip), changing oil as directed. Would naturally change oil before trip, so plan on full service with high mileage (about $80). Have AAA, will be renewed before trip date ($160). Do I want to put aside money for a winch? Wouldn't be needed. Something to think about. So for right now, it looks like $240 for emergency and maintenance, and even there, this is a cost I'm already paying.

EXTRA - Tow hitch winch, tow hitch winch... *sucks in air*. Not really an expense that's needed. Nice to have, can justify the cost with this trip. Looks like I could be paying anywhere from $150 to $300 for a bare minimum setup. Since this would be used rarely, I don't need something extravagant. So, okay, plan for a $300 winch kit, but baring in mind it isn't required.

TOTAL COST - Low end, looking at $695, high end $995. :/ Looks like a lot for a short close-to-home cheap trip. But, if I keep in mind $240 is already being spent as part of my normal maintenance and budget plan, then that isn't too bad. If I look at it that way, the cost is effectively $455 to $695. If I half the food allowance, making things more realistic, cost is then down to $330 to $630. Hell, I could costs down all the way to just gas cost, so I'm not too worried; live off of MREs, water, and soup for five days? Pfft. Buy about $50 of goods from Aldi... okay, who am I kidding, buy $25 worth of food items from Aldi. But still, having extra cash on hand wouldn't be a bad idea. Okay, so the cost can range from $230 to $995, depending on how I want to live. As always, any extra money I save up is just that, extra, and doesn't go to total cost count.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail   the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 11:26 am

missed opportunity

Due to covid-19, I was unable to do the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail as planned... I wanted to go during the Memorial Day weekend, but parks were closed, or facilities were unavailable, or if camping there were too many restrictions. Of course, a lot of restrictions were lifted about a week earlier, but by then I just said screw it, plan for a different time.

But between the last post and this, I did a couple things for the FJ Cruiser in anticipation for this trip, which will be beneficial for any other future excursions.

1. Installed a roof rack. Did not install a quality roof rack, those were far outside my financial means; installed the roof rack you normally see on an FJ: half roof rack. I don't recall the weight limit at this moment, but it'll be nice for storage and for affixing the second "mod"...

2. Bought an SUV tent. The floor is 10x10, and I think it stands eight feet high. Can be used as a normal tent, or you can remove one of the panels, which then wraps around the back of an SUV. This is important because it frees up tent space, by allowing access to the inside of the SUV through the rear door / hatch (because it's inside the tent). With the roof rack, the tent can attach to that, otherwise I'd have to attach things to the hood.

3. Made a sleeping platform for the FJ. It's three pieces: big piece that fits in the back with the middle seats up; two smaller pieces that fit in the middle when the seats are down. Smaller pieces are different sizes so that I can use it with either seat down / up (or both, duh). Platform is about eight inches from the floor of the FJ, because when the seats are down, it made a ramp. So, there's storage under the platform, can sleep in the back, and with the tent, have room for a normal camping experience.

A bonus #4 would be the signal booster I have for cellphones, but I bought that for when I do property inspections and work / search and rescue stuff. But since I keep it in the FJ, why not include it?

Would still be a good idea for a tow hitch winch.

Anyway, with all being said, the FJ has quickly become a cross county camper. Sleeper? Can't call it an explorer yet, not until I get a winch, but...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail   the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail Empty

Back to top Go down

the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail
Page 1 of 1