COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

RTS

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

RTS Empty
PostSubject: RTS   RTS EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Even though I don't really get into (many) computer games, there are a couple genres which I do greatly enjoy... tower defense games and RTS war games. Thanks to the wonders of the internet and the likes of Bloons, I'm satisfied with the selection of TD games out there, but not so much with RTS.

RTS, or Real Time Strategy for the uninitiated, pits you against other players in real time. You have to build your defensive and offensive capabilities, all the while ensuring a steady collection of various resources. Risk management and resource management rolled up into one... if you don't collect enough, you can't build, or repair... if you don't strengthen enough, prepare to be invaded and have your resources blundered.

As discussed on a different thread by Shadowcrunch, RTS' have a tech tree; build this and research that, and you can build something else. This is great if a tech tree had branches, but more often than not, they don't. The only game that I know of that has a great tech tree is Impossible Creatures, where you combine two animals to make something else (and you get to determine what characteristics go into the new animal!)

I am either currently playing, or have played, Edgeworld, Global Warfare, Lacuna Expanse, and Colony of War online. Every so often I love to blow the dust off of Command and Conquer (I has the box collection!) and Star Craft for the PC.

But I want more. Or rather, I want something more.

If anyone knows of an RTS with a real tech tree, great. Let me know! But what I am looking for is something like this: an RTS that combines the likes of Sim City with Civilization. I'm curious about building a theological nation state, full of religious zealots, where knowledge is more important than strength-of-arms... while being able to maintain a strong defense. Something free, an MMO. Heck, I'd be happy with just the Sims / Civilization combo. I'm currently looking at simscountry, but my brain is a bit foggy at the moment, so I'll have to give it a more complete glance tomorrow.

And for those who are wondering, or are looking for something like this online, I'd recommend Global Warfare by Kabam. This is an application game more commonly found on Facebook and Google+; it has several interesting features, a nice assortment of resources, and is quite involving. Look me up... I go by the name of Izations (they put the title "general" in front of your name).

There's more to be said, but I am rather tired right now. Post more tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:37 am

I'm going to start by saying I'm not 100% sure if what you're really after even exists...yet. I definitely have no idea of the online MMO types out there, since I don't often peruse the MMOs as I don't care for the norm of "play all you want unless you want to be good, cuz that'll cost money." Anyway, skipping a groove here.

FOR NOW, I will recommend 'Warzone 2100'!!! It's old. Old enough that the company made it open source (free). The graphics are dated (pfft!), and who knows what they've done to the gameplay...I'm downloading now. Since being made open source, the community has continued updating, modding, mapping...and glancing at the site this morning, it sounds like they've kept up the multiplayer code. It's NOT in-browser...but it SHOULD even run on your netbook! And sometimes, it's nice to go offline and practice.

Why am I recommending this has-been of a game? It was the first RTS that pissed me right off!!! The website boasts how the game has an extensive tech tree involving over 400 different technologies. Memory says this means like 'missile launcher mk1, mk2, mk3.' BUT there's also a unit customization/creation system. You have to research chassis, engines, shields, armor, weapons, energy sources, base defenses...then go in and design what you want your tanks/trucks/aircraft (I think...) to be capable of. VERY how-you-want-it.

So, how did it piss me off? One offline scenario, AFTER working many game hours on setting up defenses and getting a good resource flow, a new chunk of map became visible, and the enemy was making a full push from the north. Thinking standard RTS, I sent everything I had up the three main avenues to get at this new map section. The first road I my troops held the ground...yay! The second, MAIN road, I had to QUICKLY build and send reinforcements. The third road went north between some hills, and ended by going clockwise around a small mountain, where the enemy was building a radio tower to increase their comms range. Screw that! I had over 40 tanks, they had maybe 8 at the top of the hill. My tanks were the pinnacle of my research, and VERY expensive. The enemy tanks on the hill were small, slow, barely any armor, and multiple rocket launchers. Oh, did I mention line-of-sight plays a factor? As my 40+ tanks circled the mountain pass, unable to see the enemy, rockets rained down. In a few minutes, I had lost all of my WAY technically superior tanks!!!! I was thinking typical RTS...he who builds the most tanks faster wins. That does NOT always work in warzone!

So, strategy actually means 'think', for a change. I played the hell out of this game, and I say try it dammit! Meanwhile, I will see if I can dig anything up on some oldies I READ about, but never found. Could be what you're looking for, IF you're not going to be too picky about in-browser or not.
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 am

Not a game, cuz I'm still looking for ONE particular one I read about once a long time ago and of course forgot the name...but I have an article that is just too damn funny, VERY relevant, and makes a shit ton of sense despite being an article on cracked. check this out! ultimate war sim article
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 am

Taken from the article you mentioned. Gotta laugh!

Quote :
4. I want those awesome rooted monsters from Starcraft that wait until the enemy gets close and then launch tentacles up their asses. Just think of how demoralizing that would have to be.

But, I want to lose points off my Public Support Meter every time one of those monsters accidentally impales a schoolgirl in a horrific bloody mess that will shock all but the Japanese.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Okay, nevermind...I erased that paragraph cuz I won't give a big explanation about something I can't find. Instead...something I did find. I will drop quotes from the site where I found this potential gem, and based on the original post, AND that article I linked to...this could be THE game!!! After the quotes, a link!

Quote :
you can, say, pit yourself against small European
nations, or perhaps conduct a state sized squabble in the American Mid
West. As you annex more territory, you start to create your own newly
unified territory. While the military angle is important, you still have
to lock horns with your economy, politics, diplomacy, social pressures
and formidable AI's playing ambitious rival states. The developers themselves
describe it as: Civilization
meets Panzer General
meets Sim City. It's
a pretty apt description.

...conducting your military campaign
profoundly screws up your economy and country in the process (at last!),
which seems like a first. Approval ratings, international market perception,
exchange rates and your national debt are all essential items that you must
keep an eye on in order to remain afloat. Nothing seems that abstract either:
your menus and budgets run into nine figures and more, and of all the strategy
games I've seen, this one has a very down to earth "feel" of being
authentic when it comes to juggling your economy. Also juggling your politics
is a factor too, because all your ministers have political agendas of their
own.

The link to the company, and more specifically the 'Supreme Ruler 2020' site, cuz it's the most recent and doesn't take place during the cold war, but is more modern. BattleGoat Studios

I will warn in advance, the screenshots make this look like the most boring game ever, and it may be, but won't know till somebody finds the damn thing! The new Cold War version just came out in July, and they have a 'Gold' version of the older one for $9.99, so may not be completely impossible for somebody to dig up. Maybe ebay? Good god, this game almost sounds like too much...if that's possible. Will update if I can find it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Before I get into the point behind this post, a little background hinted at with my original post.

Going off of memory here, the RTS games that I own are as follows; should anyone within the general locality wish to borrow any of them, not a problem.

1. Command & Conquer: The First Decade – contains 12 C&C games and expansions
2. StarCraft Battle Box
3. Impossible Creatures
4. Warhammer 40K: Winter Assault
5. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
6. Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade
7. Total Annihilation (I’ve never played this one! Heard it’s good, though…)

I am pretty sure I have a few more, but I can’t think of any off-hand.

I did download the free Warzone 2100, along with the additional (but not essential) video package; my notebook plays it just fine… was going through the tutorial rather quickly before heading out to work. The game is smooth, plays nicely; I do wish the Instructional Guide was downloadable, but hey, gives me something to do over the weekend. I like the fact that vehicles are highly customizable: interchangeable chassis, bodies, turrets, etcetera (and the description does state over 400 different tech branches!) I will probably give this a full tryout this weekend at work.

Additionally, for those who have heard of Total Annihilation, I did find out that there is a free downloadable version called Total Annihilation: Spring, or just simply Spring. You do have to download the Spring engine first before you can download / play the game. Read that there’s quite a few downloadable RTS games which utilize this engine, so it may be worth it for those who play this genre.

Darn it all to heck, just lost my train of thought… that’s what happens when the stupid receptionist transfers the phones to me, people come in, blah blah blah. In other words, I had to work real quick.

Oh well, more later.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Since starting to 'play' Dwarf Fortress, I have been scouring once again for open source RPG games. I found a little something the wiki described as Sim City meets Civilization and thought I would throw it in here. Looks semi promising...

Unknown Horizons

Sooth, the above is a link...please remember to be logged in before telling me several times I forgot to post a link... dick. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RTS   RTS Empty

Back to top Go down

RTS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Electronic Life :: Video Games-
Jump to: