COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead Empty
PostSubject: Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead   Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm

The dead-ness of Heroscape popped up in conversation. I blame Wizards of the coast. Hasbro was making expansions, making character packs in waves, constantly updating the goodness. Wizards comes along, buys the game from Hasbro, makes their Dungeons and Dragons version of the game, and states that they will not be making anymore actual Heroscape stuff, just D&D stuff that will be fully compatible. In my opinion, that lack of caring about Heroscape or its fans is what killed the game. They didn't worry about how to make the game better, just how to incorporate it into one of their licenses to make a quick buck...or maybe they hoped the Heroscape rules could save D&D once they realized their 4th edition rules had killed that license also. ANYWAY...all speculation based on news articles, blog posts, and forum rants...

So, this was discussed, and I mentioned that the death of the game doesn't HAVE to be the death of the game. There is a huge community of loyal Heroscapers out there, and they have been building the game up slowly, quietly (so the Wizards don't sue them...), and efficiently. As efficiently as a bunch of non-profit fans can anyway. Rule additions, new characters, tips for making new minis, printable 'papercraft' tiles and terrain, software templates for designing and printing cards, fan fiction! I give you:
Heroscapers Forum

I'm sure there's more sites, but my old favorite lost it's domain, and most of its members moved to the Heroscapers forum, so this is the one I've had in my bookmarks forever. Just looking at the main page, most of the threads were updated today, so Heroscape lives on, and is still growing.
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead   Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am

You know, Warhammer 40K figures match the size of Heroscape characters rather nicely. I would almost guarantee that there is a rule set / conversion for this. I'll have to investigate further later... like, when I'm at work or something.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead   Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm

So. Today I was tasked with entertaining the youngest. We hit the big city, stopping off at Goodwill, and wouldn't you know it... a Master Set... for $3! How could I pass on such a bargain?

Get back home, wifey asks me "Don't we already have that?"

"Well yeah," says I, "we have a few of them. Can't have too many terrain pieces."

Now granted, there are some things missing. There's a total of five figures mssing, and for some reason the two-tile creatures are without bases scratch , but I didn't get it for the figures. Okay, maybe in part... but mainly for more terrain.

I've forgotten about my previous post. I'll have to check on that 40K Heroscape idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead   Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Dead heroscape doesn't have to be dead
Page 1 of 1