COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unity Game Authoring Engine

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm

AND... not gonna go into a lot of detail here, but from Chapter 7 through Chapter 10, if you ever lose animation on the 'Chest Lid' object, STOP and figure it out immediately! Seriously, stop and fix it.

There was a gentleman in the official book forum who also had the problem, and his fix was to say everything else worked so he would just plow ahead an revisit it later. I had the problem and decided hey, that's good advice! By the end of chapter 10, through chapter 11, when you're getting super confused about states and the chest lid becomes one of your major test objects, you start getting that sinking feeling cuz it doesn't work. Then today I found out that in order to fix it now, I would have to rework EVERY change in the animation properties on ALL imported objects from chapter 7 through 11... fuck... I say, FUCK... THAT.

I figured out a work around involving doing a bunch of stuff in windows explorer that the author says is the worst idea ever, but it worked for me... so far. I don't want you to have to deal with that. Like I said, the chest lid animation stops working at any point, YOU stop working... don't sleep, don't breathe, don't even poop Exclamation until you fix it!

(oh, and just so we're clear, jumping ahead in the book I find that metadata and states will require a working chest lid when the time comes to link the key animation to the unlocking of the chest lid... which plays a major factor in the part where you start putting other objects IN the chest... yeah, just fix the damn thing. IF you get the problem)
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 2:38 am

When making a function, function should NOT be capitalized, and the function name SHOULD be capitalized!!! If you can't get a piece of code to do ANYTHING after making some fresh functions, CHECK YOUR CAPS!!!

SON OF A....!!!!

Code:
function Dothis(){
if (Input.GetKeyDown("space")) Jump();
}

See that? Lower case function and capped Dothis...remember...
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Sue Blackman's book?
F*** YOU, CHAPTER 11!!!!

One nice thing, I got a LOT of practice debugging stuff without help... adding print statements and 'debug.log' so I could see step by step in the console where things were going awry... but chapter 11 was a MAJOR pain in the error-ass! Some was Unity changes, some was the author... last step of the chapter is to make a new function and fill it with like 20 lines of code, which ends up dropping errors left and right. No answers online. I finally brought up her 'finished scripts' from the downloaded assets... no new function... the 20-ish lines of code are tucked away inside a completely different 'else' clause! SON OF A....!!!!

BUT... chapter 11 is behind me now, and everything is working!
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Yay!!!!
Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 am

4:18?! Shouldn't you be sleeping?! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unity Game Authoring Engine   Unity Game Authoring Engine - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Unity Game Authoring Engine
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2