COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[PC] Anarchy Arcade

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

[PC] Anarchy Arcade Empty
PostSubject: [PC] Anarchy Arcade    [PC] Anarchy Arcade EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:48 pm

A few months ago I downloaded a program on Steam named Anarchy Arcade which allows you to design, create, decorate and populate a structure to display your Steam games, movies/pictures/music and now even comic books and manga.  I've subscribed to user created maps based off of the Resident Evil mansion, the command deck of a Star Wars Star Destroyer and even a mansion behind the vault door from the Fallout series.  I've also (contained in some map packages) subscribed to various furniture/add-one for different themed rooms.

Since owning this software, I've put more than 3 hours into it, most of which was today.  Spawning items into your new arcade is as simple as clicking the middle mouse wheel (of course you can change your control configuration) and choosing what you plan on placing, whether it's a YouTube link, picture from your computer or a game.  You then get to scroll the mouse wheel scrolling through cabinets, picture frames or displays that are available to you at that moment.  The more items you spawn into your map, the more points you get which in turn gives you points and tickets (think of skeetball tickets from Chucky Cheese or carnivals) which you can then use to unlock different cabinets, light fixtures, consoles and more.  I started by bringing out 4 Borderlands games, all next to each other looking rather nice with the colorful marquis displays and each in their own unique cabinet.  There's even a nice picture of either gameplay or a screenshot on the screen of the cabinet.  A single click on the cabinet will auto-play a trailer, double-click it will open the game where you can play it as if you're doing so from the Steam launcher.  I rather liked the layout of my game room, so I went from just 4 games to roughly 40-45.

At that time, I needed a smoke break so I exited the game (every time I spawned something it 'saved').  I came back up a short time later and loaded my place back up.  It loaded a fresh instance of the map.  Rinse and repeat a couple more times until I actually figured it out...

Updated was the whole achievement thing.  Prior to now, while playing a game from within Anarchy Arcade your achievements wouldn't get credited to your account.  Today I acquired an achievement in Borderlands (through AA) and it did in fact show up on my profile.  So that's a bonus indeed!!

The meat and potatoes of this whole thing is this.  User created maps through the Workshop are nice.  They offer things which I myself can not do, due to my innate inability to not being able to do diddly squat in any type of 3D program.  Wondering if I worded that right.. I'll try again. I can't do shit in any type of graphics program.  I could learn quickly, but if I don't keep at it at least every other day, I start forgetting stuff. However, moving on....

I have a large quantity of games (624).  A large quantity of DLC (417) {which could get their own display}.  If I wanted to have a playable cabinet for each of my games, I'd have to have one massive building to contain them. Also, if I wanted to make available the movies/music on my computer, the space would get even bigger....

My solution to this would be this.  A program within Anarchy Arcade where you could tick a box in front of your games saying 'I want this one displayed'.  Same thing with the media from your hard drive.  With the games, the slave program would go through Steam and look at the top 4 tags of the games you chose and it would group games of the same genre into their own room.  If the algorithm was unable to place with certainty, it could of course ask how to place it.  After your games were chosen, the program would ask what type of building/area you'd like; probably offering a drop down menu with themes, settings and what-not(feudal Japan, Steampunk, Futuristic, etc..).  It would then figure the size of the containment and create it custom to the amount of games you have.  That would reduce the frustration of liking a map but not having enough room to put everything that you want out for display.  Vise versa, it would also keep from having too much empty space left over.  I am fully aware that this probably won't happen, but we can all dream.

Lastly, I felt rather foolish playing a game trying to design and layout a virtual place to play my games when I could have just been playing them through Steam as they just sat there waiting to be played.
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: [PC] Anarchy Arcade    [PC] Anarchy Arcade EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 10:42 am

And here's me... I see you're in Anarchy Arcade, I look at the screenshots, and my first concern is did they make it easier for me to build my anime room...

I remember though, and maybe if you feel like testing, I tried making a big ol' flat screen on the wall to play a folder of anime from my hard drive. Since you could open your space to your steam friends, I was basically going to make a virtual theater where peeps could watch my collection of anime without having to download it themselves. I had nothing but problems. The TV could only play the one episode selected at creation, if I wanted to change episodes I had to delete the TV and create a new one; I couldn't full screen, hitting full screen opened my windows default media player (VLC) and closed Anarchy Arcade; couldn't get the sound to work (do I need to add and link speakers or something?).

It just wasn't very user friendly back then. Hmm... I wonder if the TVs could be set to play GIFs from a hard drive or URL... that could make a room with pizzazz...
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: [PC] Anarchy Arcade    [PC] Anarchy Arcade EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 11:33 am

I was also thinking about making an Anime room, along with a movie room... (They have now also incorporated Netflix into Anarchy Arcade). As of now, the only way I can see doing this is creating a playlist *or* stuff all of the episodes into a single file. (or just have multiple displays, which leads me to the whole size issues posted previously).

They have the changing posters... I was thinking about uploading some Valkyrie cards and other anime based goodness and seeing if you could do more than just 2 pictures... May have to have a poster room if only allowed 2 pictures per changing frame.

Not sure about the GIFs yet. I still need to find out if I have to have a folder within the AA folder for the media. That would suck since you'd have to have multiple instances of the same thing on your hard drive. That alone would cause issues with me, because with all or the sorting that I have to do in my drives, if I add another folder somewhere, that may just be the 3rd for even 4th instance of the same media.. Need to sort my stuff I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [PC] Anarchy Arcade    [PC] Anarchy Arcade Empty

Back to top Go down

[PC] Anarchy Arcade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Electronic Life :: Video Games-
Jump to: