COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bolt Action

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

A friend of mine, known to most people here (alias "Chip Guy" or "Grover"), has been playing Bolt Action for quite some time, a 28mm historical gaming system based in World War II. He's been trying to get me to play off and on over the years, but I didn't want to get into yet another miniatures game.

This past weekend, Vader and I went down to Green Bay to do some window shopping. I wanted to get some modeling ideas, and just mainly to see what is available. Saw quite a bit, but the thing that struck me the most was Konflikt '47, a standalone game based on Bolt Action. Gnome Games, always a favorite with their customer service and overall atmosphere, was selling starter kits of Konflikt for roughly $110 (only ones available were the Americans and the Germans); I found that there are additional starters (British and Soviet) to be had, with a fifth (Japanese) due in October.

The story behind Konflikt '47 is that... either from the testing or from dropping the atomic bombs, going off of memory here, a rift was created to an other dimension or plane of existence or something, and radio transmissions were being picked up, detailing plans and blueprints for futuristic weaponry. The Americans and the Germans were the first to develop new technologies off of this, with the British and Russians (and Japanese) following suit.

While Bolt Action takes place during the established WWII era, with appropriate and accurate weapons and vehicles, Konflikt 47 continues the war, essentially creating an alternate timeline. Bolt Action figures and vehicles can be used in the Konflikt setting, but most Konflikt models are not compatible in Bolt Action.

From what I've been able to read online (due to IT blocking game related material from their server), there are A LOT of WWII themed figures and models that can be purchased and used for Bolt Action, that don't have to necessarily come from Warlords. For cheap. If you think about it, it's quite true... go on any auction or buying website and look up WWII 28mm models or whatever, and you'll find plenty of material that can be used for your army. It isn't as if the models are design specific to a particular game system (40k / WarMaHordes). An additional note is that as far as vehicles are concerned, 1:48 scale models can be used.

Well, probably not is legal tournament games. But do we play in competitions? Or, you know, play in general? Below is a video of someone showing off the differences in scale with the 28mm (1:56) to 1:48, and I have to agree with the video creator, 1:48 looks right.

Am I saying or suggesting this is something we should look into or consider? Nope. Just something I'm looking into, thought I'd share for the group.

Now, I did buy a starter set of both Bolt Action and Konflikt; I picked the Soviet Army. I would have gone with Japanese, due to the visuals of their upcoming Konflikt line, but as they aren't available yet... also, the Japanese vehicles used in WWII didn't impress me. German vehicles and weapons were great, but were over complicated. Since I love the look of Soviet armor, and the fact that I like their doctrine (at the time) or cheap but effective mass produced vehicles, I figured why not.

While Gnomes was selling Konflikt starters at $110, I found one for $72 (eBay); ordered a Bolt Action starter off of Amazon for $94. WHile I could have gotten that starter cheaper elsewhere, I registered for Amazon's credit card, which gave me $40 off of my purchase... so, the starter only actually cost me $54.

**Side note, I plan on cancelling the card as soon as it comes in.**

While I haven't played this, I'm kind of liking it. The game is cheap, what with the ability to buy real models to use and with there being numerous other gaming markets selling WWII figures. And with the scifi expansion being compatible with the original, you're essentially able to play two games.

I'll post a battle report or gaming video here in a bit. Got work stuff to do.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 am

References

I'm just adding some links to this particular post, for ease of reference (until my books come in).

On a side note, I learned that the United States were the only ones to have the rift technology, but the Soviets were busy stealing plans and backwards engineering items they stole of destroyed/captured. This explains why the stuff they have looks more brutish or primitive compared to the other two.

Soviet Army PDF

Bolt Action Rulebook

Last edited by soothsayer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 am

Announcement

You can now preorder the Japanese and the Finnish starter sets of Konflikt '47. I'd take a look at things, but you know... work computer.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyMon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

Perfect timing

As luck would have it, both starter sets that I ordered... Soviet Bolt Action and Soviet Konflikt '47... arrived the same day that the preorder of the Japanese Konflikt opened. While I do like the look of the Japanese Konflikt figures, I'm still sticking with the Soviets; I've always liked the look of Soviet armor and military vehicles (rugged, mean looking, practical), plus their fighting doctrine is pretty good. Not so much "shoot you if you run away", but the pound 'em forever and a day with artillery first, then move in.

With the acquiring of these two sets, I was window shopping online for models. It does amaze me that you can buy a gaming model for upwards of $40, but you can get the equivalent in a regular model for half... or 3/4... of that price. Same model, different scale, greater detail. As an example, a 1:56 T-34 as put forth by Bolt Action goes for $30; you can also spend about $15 for a 1:48. If you watched the above video, you should recall that the size difference isn't that much, and if anything, looks more "right" when compared to the figures.

This got me to thinking. Do I really want to start building another army? After all, I've got my: T'au army (40K); Skorne army (Hordes); Protectorate of Menoth force (War Machine); UCM (Dropzone Commander). And this is actually down, as I've sold or given away armies of Orcs, Tyranids, and Space Marines. It isn't so much that models can be had for cheap, but rather do I want to buy and build another army that's just going to sit?

I'm thinking yes, and it deals with the models themselves. I'm going to be buying models regardless. Maybe not gaming models, but models nonetheless. Why not have the rules for a game that they can be incorporated into? It's just like my buying "little green men" army playsets. Sure, it gives me something to practice my painting skills on, and I can also use them for my big Risk table. And who knows, eventually there might be a game system we find and agree upon that those figures can be used towards.

I'm pretty much done buying gaming models as it is, at least for gaming purposes. If I buy anything, it'll be to add to the collection... maybe. "Maybe" as in "maybe" I'll buy the model. But I'm not going to actively look for them.

(Note that I am in no way knocking our playing hobbies; we're all working, got families, priorities, and so on. I truly don't want anyone who reads this to think I'm saying or suggesting otherwise.)
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyMon Sep 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Pricing

Just ordered some infantry models from Plastic Soldier, a company located in the UK. They sell a box of "57 hard plastic 28mm scale miniatures depicting WW2 Russian infantry in summer uniform as follows: 45 riflemen/SMGs, 6 junior officers/NCOs, 6 light machine guns with loaders", for 18.95 pounds... or $24.95; shipping is a little bit more, maybe about $9.20. The Bolt Action equivalent sells 40 troops for about $45 (free shipping) on eBay. This comes out to roughly $0.59/figure via Plastic Soldier versus $1.125 via Bolt Action.

So yes, you can buy cheaper figures than what the gaming company sells.

The above infantry, as part of the "Russian Infantry Deal", also comes with four maxims (two firing and two moving), two 50mm mortars, two 82mm mortars, four anti tank rifles, one 45mm anti tank gun and one 76mm infantry gun. This deal is being sold for $47.39: the infantry, as mentioned above, goes for $25; the anti tank / infantry gun is boxed at $17.77; and the maxims / mortars are $23.04... total price, if bought separately, $65.81.

Now, it does not look as if the infantry models come with the options that Bolt Action's do, but the blisters do, so who knows. I'll check these out when they arrive.

Pricing, entry two

Making an edit in this post just to continue the price comparison. I just ordered a 1:48 Soviet BA-6 (see image below for actual vehicle) for $22.80, shipping cost included. The official model runs for roughly $27 on up, without shipping. Plus, the 1:48 model had greater detail, photoetching, and so on.

Bolt Action 76384310

It's an armored car... with a tank turret! Really, that's actual tank equipment on there: from the T-26. Those Soviets, always finding ways to jumble shit together.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Scaling

I've noticed on a few posts now I've commented on using the 1:48 models over the 1:56 (28mm) gaming models due to appearance. Even posted a video detailing as such. To show another perspective, I am attaching this link to an article showing side by side comparisons of vehicles and figures, using both the 28mm scale and the 1:48.

In looking for some worthy reads, I came across a forum which debated this subject, and gave good points for the gaming models:

1. Sturdier construction
2. Easier to build
3. Bigger selection

So I guess it could go either way. Hadn't thought about the ease of assembly portion. Using the gaming models would definitely make army creation go by much faster. But, for my interests at least, I'm not buying another gaming system, I'm buying models I can game with. Same thing with a sturdier construction; sure, thicker plastic and bigger pieces makes for a more solid construction, but again, I'm looking to build models first, utilizing them in a game second. The portion with having a bigger selection does add another level to this, so it seems to me I may have to reference what's in my army book to see what's available in the modeling world.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Start Your Engines

Okay, I've acquired Bolt Action's Soviet Stater, the Konflikt '47 Soviet Starter, the Soviet Infantry Deal... and now, the Soviet "Tank War" Starter Set.

This normally comes with three T-34/85 medium tanks, three IS-2 heavy tanks, supplement rulebook, quick start guide, reference sheet, templates, tokens, pin markers, stat cards, dice, damage markers, decals, and ruler. But, as an extra bonus, the seller is also tossing in a Bolt Action 2nd Edition rulebook.

This may all sound like a lot, but it basically comes out to about a month's worth of personal savings (plus money I had set aside for the bridge walk trip). I think from here on out, it'll be just assembly and painting; with the tanks, I can probably now get some use out of my airbrush!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am

Для Родины!

Not necessarily game related. I mean, it is, but it isn't: ordered something off of eBay to help me better get into a proper state of mind when assembling, painting, and fielding my Soviet army.

Bolt Action 20170910

I'm not going to be able to wear this if Bolt Action or Konflikt '47 is ever played in my basement... ceiling is too low. But I can certainly don it when I put things together, and it'll definitely be by tableside.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Haven't seen this before

Generally, when playing a miniatures game, you have to buy damage markers separately or you make you own. What if I told you that that wasn't true with Bolt Action? Seems every starter box has a sprue of damage markers, which is a rather nice touch.

The Tank War starter box arrived today (I had it shipped to work... sneaky me); opened it up, and not only did I find another damage sprue, but I found two bags of pulled yarn to make my own fire/white smoke/black smoke markers. Don't believe me? Well then , feast your eyes on this!

Bolt Action 20170911

So I wouldn't get any glare from the ziplock bag, here's a closer view of the pulled yarn.

Bolt Action 20170912

Now that is truly nice!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm

tidbit of information: basing

If you are buying third party products (as an example, Plastic Soldier, you will either find out you need to rebase the figures, or that there are no bases. The infantry that I ordered from PS were mounted on a base similar to that found on dollar store green army soldiers; additionally, the mortars and mounted guns have no base.

Regarding the infantry, I just went to the local hardware store and bought a box or washers of (almost) identical thickness and diameter; the difference is so small that you wouldn't be able to tell. The plus side of this is that, being bottom heavy, they should stay put on inclines rather well... the down side is that I'll need to find a way to fill in the washer's hole. If I could have found a box of plugs that'd have been better, but I don't even know what they're called, let alone how to find them.

**a box of 100 washers cost roughly $6; I know that this store marks up their prices, so Walmart... well, even Menards... would offer them cheaper. Looks like you can get 50 for $8 (from Texas; nice quality) or 100 for $10 (China; long wait, questionable quality); washers win out**

With vehicles, there are no bases; there is no need to base your vehicles. You can if you want, I believe there's a mention of that within the rulebook (or maybe it was a Bolt Action forum I read that on?). If you base your vehicles, it does not count towards game play, the base is ignored. Bases for infantry are not ignored. I want to say basing plays no part in weapons platforms either, but I could be wrong.

With walkers (Konflikt '47), I cannot say for all armies, all I know is the Soviets to not have bases. I'll be adding a base to my Cossack, if anything to at least add a bit more stability.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm

tidbit of information: scenarios

I made mention of this way back in the beginning, but I thought I would mention it again: there are some players out there, mostly those who are looking for an authentic historical representation or in tournaments, who will only allow proper period pieces to be played. The rulebooks have within the description when a certain vehicle came out, or what weapon system was used, during what time frame. Play an early WWII scenario, and you wouldn't be able to field a T-34 with a mounted 88 as an example, as those only came out later.

Then there are those who play for fun.

Should we ever get a game of Bolt Action going, I say we fall in the "for fun" category. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what vehicles or weapons are used; those are reflected in the points. It'll balance out. The only thing I would suggest is before any game is played (and well enough in advance so that we can point our armies) is that we determine which rules edition we are using. I've attached a PDF of the 1st Edition rules for convenience sake in an earlier post, but I also own a 2nd Edition rulebook. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to see what changes there are, but I'm willing to play whatever is best for us.

Another thing I see happening is whether we go with Bolt Action or Konflikt '47. While Knoflikt is based on the rules and point values of Bolt Action, it's meant to be a standalone game. However, gaming pieces from BA are compatible with those from 47. 47 is based off of the 1st Edition rules of BA. In a week or two, the 47 book Resurgence will be coming out, and I believe that will update the game to 2nd Edition BA rules.

I'm thinking, why keep the games separate? Look at all the B-rated movies we've seen, or the likes of Sky Captain. Why not create a scenario why one side gets to field walkers and genetically altered soldiers, pitting them against a more traditional force? The points will reflect what's being fielded, so things should match up fairly well, and it would be interesting to see a movie play out before us on a tabletop.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action EmptyMon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm

variety is a spice

Knowing that the Soviets utilized women within their armed forces during WWII, I found and ordered a few female pieces for my Bolt Action army.

* Two female sniper team (spotter and shooter), kneeling
* Three female tank commanders
* Two female infantry armed with SMGs
* Six female infantry with rifles

Each of the above is a blister pack containing those items. The blisters themselves come from Bad Squiddo Games, who, according to their Facebook page (as I cannot access their website due to IT blocks)...

Quote :
Welcome to the largest collection of female miniatures in the world! Bad Squiddo stocks figures from over 50 different manufacturers - with one thing in common - the miniatures are female, and appropriately dressed for the task at hand!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bolt Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolt Action   Bolt Action Empty

Back to top Go down

Bolt Action
Page 1 of 1