COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Soothsayer's Songs

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 11:36 am

I love pandora.com. It allows me to pick and choose what I want to listen to, and it throws in songs and artists that I have never heard of into the mix, bringing me to a whole new level of music appreciation. With this thread, I will bring to you many of the songs that I have come to know and love, songs I normally would never have heard of.

I will not be posting "oh, I've loved this song since I was 5" or other crap like that. Again, these are songs I've never heard of before, or from bands I've never heard of, or music genres I've never listened to.

To start things off, here is a song from the band Dead Can Dance. East Indian influence, smooth meoldy and soothing vocals, and, well, just give it a listen. You may not like it, it may not be for you, but give it a try anyway.

By all means feel free to comment on the music I'll be providing, but please try to refrain from adding other videos. I know, it may seem kinda selfish to hog an entire thread... pig

And look! Lyrics!

Quote :
I thought that you knew it all
Well you've seen it ten times before.
Thought that you were the one
In darkness my heart was won.
I love slow
Slow but deep.
Feigned affections
Wash over me.
Dream on my dear
And renounce temporal obligations.
Dream on my dear
It's a sleep from which you may not awaken.
You build me up then you knock me down.
You play the fool while I play the clown.
We keep time to the beat of an old slave drum.
You raise my hopes then you raise the odds
You tell me that I dream too much
Now I'm serving time in disillusionment.
I don't believe you anymore
I don't believe you.
I thought that you had it down
With both your feet on the ground.
Thought that you were the one
I thought that I knew it all
I'd seen all the signs before.
I thought that you were the one
I love slow ... slow but deep.
Feigned affections ... wash over me.
You build me up then you knock me down.
You play the fool while I play the clown.
We keep time to the beat of an old slave drum.
You raise my hopes then you raise the odds
You tell me that I dream too much
Now I'm doing time in a domestic graveyard.
I don't believe you anymore
I don't believe you.
Never let it be said I was untrue
I never found a home inside of you.
Never let it be said I was untrue
I gave you all my time.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Thought I would come back to this thread by posting something that made me do a double take, do a double take. I've heard this song a few times on Pandora, and thought it was a darn good Garbage Inc song... which is why I never posted it, because this was going to be different song styles.

But you know what? It wasn't Garbage, but a Spanish woman by the name of Lucia. Go ahead and listen to this song. Listen to it all the way, and tell me that this doesn't sound like Garbage.

Too bad video posts have the title... there's got to be a way to stop the title from showing. Oh well. Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I picked this one up from a challenge of sorts. The person in question, aka shadowcrunch, first described this band as sounding a bit heavy blues along the lines of early Danzig stuff. Howver, I, as has shadowcrunch, have come to learn, this is far from the fact. Yes, there are blues, but there is so much more, and pretty much everything I've heard of theirs on youtube is good.

Now, at first I wanted to post the song that is most popular due to a video game, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

Thanks shadowcrunch!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

This one goes waaaaaaay back, back when I was serving onboard the USS Midway back in 1990-1991. I was one of the few white boys who could appreciate old school rap and R&B... and even though I will always like TLC, Run DMC, En Vogue, and Digital Underground, I have to wonder... how many white people know of the band X Clan?

The band members took their names from various comic book related characters: Professor X, Weapon X, X Man, and so on. Pretty good so far, right?

Anyway, the black guys that I knew were pretty surprised that I not only knew of this band, but that I actually liked them. Seriously, they were damn near stunned. And my favorite song of theirs?

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 am

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 am

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Dear lord... I could listen to this several times in a row. And have. I've listened to this, like, five times in a row each day for the past week and a half. I have no idea what it is about this song, it just... I just get carried away in it.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 pm

I think I've found a new steampunk joy (sorry, Dr Steel)...

And this, I believe, would fall under "Pagan". Never knew pagan was its own musical subgenre, but I guess so.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 am

This one here may not be what I normally listen to (if such a thing could even be said). I normally hate electronic stuff like this... but this one has a cool sound to it, and a rather interesting video.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 am

I'm indifferent about the song, but then again I'm not watching this video for the song. It is truly one of the most beautiful things I've seen... brings a tear to my eye.

And what the hell, why not add a little jump to your heart, ehh?

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

When I was traveling about the world back in my Navy days, I found that it was rather easy to pick up phrases or words in different languages; facial expressions, tone, annunciation, body language all gave signals as to the meaning of what was being said. Sometimes, you don't need to know what is being spoken to truly understand what is being implied.

Take this video for instance. Sure, you can play it in the background, and you might be able to get a feel of things, but without watching the video, without catching the symbolism and the visuals, then the feeling is lost. This video right here, coupled with the song, is a prime example of my theory on how much better a short movie is than a full length one; this is a self contained tale, both beautiful and depressing at the same time.

Lastly, for the life of me, I don't want to know what the singer is saying. If I were to find out, it might be entirely different than the impression one gets! For all I know, he could be singing the lyrics on how to make chocolate chip cookies (like anyone would be so low as to do that).

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 pm

My second The Cog is Dead song... but this one's a video! Great sound, interesting story...

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Ever listen to a song that just hits you? I mean really hits you with such emotional force that you just sit there, not knowing what the hell to do. Now, imagine such a song coming from an unknown band... an unknown band whose very same song has over (OVER) 1.2 MILLION hits on youtube. That is a lot by any standard, let alone from an unknown band from a little known sub culture.

My gawd people. Listen to this song. Sit down and listen to it, tell me it doesn't bring back memories for someone in your life, currently or past.

The music is simple. The harmonics are, for the lack of a better word, fucking amazing.

May I present to you a steampunk band by the name of Steam Powered Giraffe, singing the song Honeybee. I like their songs Brass Goggles and Automatonic Electronic Harmonics, but this one... wow. Just wow. It's so wow, Vader's and my mother reposted it on her facebook page.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:26 pm

I first heard this band on the Bob and Tom Show many years ago.  A few of their songs that I've listened to have a great adult humor about them (but not vulgar, just word play)... but this song?  All I can say is damn.

**There isn't humor in this song, it's just good.**

Miss the likes of Chicago?  Big bands with lots of instruments?  This band has talent and skill, a great stage presence.

{EDIT}

I am tossing in this quick edit a day later knowing that nothing will be missed by the multitudes that come this way.  Here is the second song from this band that I've heard... the first being Attack of the Wiener Man.  That is a good song, but this one is a bit better.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Song in German, pirate metal, and a song where, umm, they dress up as Germans.  Not necessarily in that order.

Headbanger 

Drinks! 
This is probably my new "favored band of the week."  Been listening to a lot of their stuff today, and have added them to my Pandora mix.

Pyrate 
Couldn't remember why this band was familiar.  Then I checked around, and saw that 'crunch had posted them on his thread.

Last edited by soothsayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 am

Found this one last week, but I thought best to post it lest I forget about it.

Talk about a drinking / bar song!

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Danzig - 4p

How could I have forgotten about this album?  I will always like the first Danzig release, as well as a few songs here and there, but this entire album (for the most part) is by far my most favorite Danzig release.  I am posting the entire album here mainly for the fact that I don't have the CD any more.

I realize that this post doesn't fall into the category "different". We've been listening to Danzig for years... nay, decades... but I think I'm going to move away from the whole "different" aspect of things. All of my Pandora stations have nicely blended together; although not one station plays songs from all my stations, they'll play from two or three, and so I've long passed the different mark. Oh sure, something new will pop up every so often, but I am right where I want to be musically.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 am

This, it turns out, is a great song all by itself.  I mean, it's upbeat, it's physically moving, just great.  A grand example of a remake that has taken a song and made it its own.

The fact that it is on the soundtrack to one of my (now) favorite movies doesn't hurt either.  I've never seen Kill Bill, one or two, so I don't know how it plays out in those... but in The Good, The Bad, The Weird?  Amazing!

{EDIT}

As a second entry, how about some swing?  The more I listen to this band, the more I like them.  They have quite a few good songs, but this is the one that brought me in... then I suggest Jumpin' Jack and You Know You Wrong

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 am

For those that haven't seen this on Facebook...

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyWed May 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Katzenjammer

A Norwegian female quartet. Not bad. A bit different.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyWed May 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Lordi

Think Gwar, but better both musically and costume-wise. And a bit more alive. Baa dum tss

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri May 16, 2014 11:39 am

Oh my goodness, too good!

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs EmptyFri May 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Now here's a fun song!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soothsayer's Songs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soothsayer's Songs   Soothsayer's Songs Empty

Back to top Go down

Soothsayer's Songs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
COT2 :: Real Life :: Music-
Jump to: