COT2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COT2

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

NETFLIX Recommendations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

NETFLIX Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Just had an idea, a way to streamline some threads: instead of people putting a bunch of threads all over on "oh you have to watch this on Netflix" or "oh, Netflix now has this", how about we just incorporate all those into one thread? Instead of doing a quick response, do a full one and put a title on it for anything new (or do the colored title method)? I am going to go back and copy / paste the smaller threads into this one, and then post a "delete this thread" for the admin to show that it has been moved. Granted, I can't do this with the longer threads (like Hobo with a Shotgun), but at least it's an attempt to conserve space. And stuff.

EDIT
Never mind about the going back to delete stuff, admin... found out I could still delete my original posts (if nothing was posted afterwards)

Last edited by soothsayer on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 pm

REBOOT

Subject: Reboot! Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 pM

Just making a quick post to notify all that Netflix now has Reboot. Let the merriment begin!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:50 pm

LOST

Subject: LOST Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:50 pm

The show's been done now for a couple years, but it still draws me in... LOST was a viewing experience unlike anything else ever made. EVER.

The first 5-10 minutes of the first episode proves this. The cinematics, the location, just the overall emotional right-in-your-face kind of delivery was impressive. With all indications, it would seem that the show was focused on group survival, but oh no. There was more.

Much more.

The only show I have seen before this that had great character development was Stargate SG-1, but that in no way should be compared with the characters of LOST. The first two seasons showed the history and the whys of each character, and hinted at how each of them were connected to each other! In my opinion, this series brought out the best in character development... as an example, I've started watching the series again, catching all the small things that I had missed before, things that made me go "oh wow, can't believe I missed that!", but sadly, because I know what happens to the characters, and with one character in particular, I have to turn off the television before I breakdown. Even my wife, who rarely watched the show, started crying during one of the final episodes because of how emotionally strong and messed up it was. Character development makes or breaks a book, movie, or a show: with LOST it went beyond making.

That isn't to say it was all about the character. The show intertwines science, religion, philosophy, mythology so beautifully and is so well thought out. Nothing in the series is forced, nothing makes you have to believe something or forces you to accept what is being seen. You just do. Even when the show goes a bit heavy on technical jargon, it's presented in such a way that you understand it (goes for the religious aspects, too). Everything is done in a feasible and believable manner.

And the references! My god, the references! There is so much in this show that isn't explained, or even hinted at, but is seen or heard. The show is multi-level... take it as it is, and you will come out so satisfied; BUT, you can also research or at least go online and look something up, and you will find out that what was shown is true, or what something means, or how it fits, all without having to go on a fan site. There are hints and clues thrown all over the show as to what is going on! Again, take it one episode at a time and be content and fulfilled... read between the lines and open your mind, and you see so much more. A couple fine examples of this are the red flowers on the island (yes, that detailed!) and the hieroglyphics. If character development makes or breaks something, then it must also be said that everything is in the details, and wow, does this have the details!

Nothing is in this series that shouldn't belong. there are no stand-alone episodes, no one time only episodes which don't affect anything else.

Now, I will warn you that the first season may seem rather slow; just keep in mind that it is just setting the, well, setting the setting. Season two picks up the pass a bit, adding additional elements which become more dominant in future seasons.

I know, everyone rants about their favorite series or movie, and this is no exception. I love LOST. I've grown to love the characters, and to feel for them. I have never seen anything that even remotely compares to this show. Is it for everybody? Probably not, because there isn't a single thing out there that everyone will love. That isn't going to stop me from recommending it to everyone, though.

I would like to say more about the show, but to do so would give away at least something. If you are going to watch it for the first time, i don't want to ruin it for you. However, if you have any specific questions, go ahead and repost, and I will answer (but in spoiler format so others don't have to see it).

Now for some extras! There are no spoilers here!

1. Most of the characters are named after real historic figures, and ties in with their personalities and view points.

2. Any band that is mentioned, any company, does have a website. They may not be real websites, mind you, but the creators took that extra step and put out there promotional materials to add that extra layer to the show.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 6:02 pm

NON JAPANESE ANIME

There are two great animes on Netflix, both of which are not Japanese related although they are done in the anime style.

Avatar: the Last Airbender - Yes, I know it was on Nickelodeon, but this was a great series (in my opinion). It has everything that makes anime great... back-stories, epic story length, character development, those little anime + on the forehead or the bead of sweat, and on and on. One would think that this was a Japanese cartoon, but they'd be mistaken: it was an American made show (hey, the lips sync with the words!) I don't want to copy/paste a bunch of stuff, so here's a link to the wiki: avatar

Oban Star-Racers - Anime. FRENCH anime. You want character driven plots? You want aliens and mechs and spacecraft all competing to win a wish? Betrayal, backstabbing, conflicts, and an amazing blend of animation and CG? This show had me getting up early on Sunday mornings so I could watch it! Same thing, follow the wiki: Oban

Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Without actually doing a quick preview (damn PS3 seems to be unable to exit from Skyrim...must be a bug Very Happy), I was going through the newer releases a couple days ago, and there's a Ren & Stimpy with like 20 episodes or something like that from the early 2000's...which tells me it must be the newer series where they got away with a little more crudeness. If this be the case, why aren't we all watching it right now?! Oh, of course this is on streaming, which is how I found it. Stream it!!!
Back to top Go down
http://right here...
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 pm

DYLAN DOG Dead of Night

Movie synopsis:

Dylan is a private investigator, specializing in martial disputes. He recently took on a new case, one which involved the murder of his client's father and eventually his errand boy partner. However, this is not a normal who-done-it drama... heck no.

Without revealing anything from the movie itself, I feel it is safe to mention that the movie deals with various undead: vampires, werewolves, zombies, ghouls, and a cameo gargoyle. This might put it up towards the thriller category, but again a resounding heck no.

It's more of a comedy drama. It isn't campy like Army of Darkness, it isn't as action packed as Blade, nor is it as serious as Dracula, although it does contain a certain level of each, and combines them into something all its own. I think this movie was rather good, and would love to see this made into its own franchise; it could be easily done!

There were two disappointments, though, but they were not serious enough to detract from the enjoyment; the only one I will mention is that the climatic end fight seemed short. Then again, this movie wasn't supposed to come across as being an action flick, so I guess this is alright.

I give this movie a thumbs up, but gave it a Netflix rating of 4 out of 5 stars...

Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 7:42 am

You know, I never thought of dropping a review for Dylan Dog, but for those interested, I will also say thumbs up. I do believe we gave it 4 of 5 stars on Netflix as well, not so much for the overall quality of the movie itself. It's something like this: based on what this movie was trying to do, I would probably give it 3 of 5....BUT between the complexity of story and ORIGINALITY I would give it 5 of 5. It could have had more MOVIE and less character (the endless whining of the sidekick could have covered a lot less screen time), but the backstory and interactions between the vampires and werewolves and the film's protagonist were really well done!

Yes, I will recommend you see this movie at least once, and watch it with an open mind. Not to drop any spoilers, you will be happy to note: Not a single vampire in this movie sparkles!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm

There was quite a bit of whining, wasn't there? But, all things considered, I guess I could accept his... displeasure.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Today's movie recommendation is: Call of Cthulhu.

This is a silent movie made in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember which) based off of the H.P. Lovecraft story of the same name. The reason for it being silent is that the director / maker wanted the movie to have the feeling as if it were made within the same time period of the story itself. The waves are moving cloth, there's bits in claymation, obviously fake backdrops... but it looks good, it looks like what a movie from that period does look like.

Now, I won't bore you with details. Let's just say that, from what I remember of the story, the movie follows it (for the most part), but that parts that don't follow you really won't notice. The movie flows along a logical and regular pace, and as with any Lovecraft story, reveals just enough to make you want more.

The lack of spoken word doesn't detract from the movie at all. Though dialogue would have been nice (or normal), having scene narration text was wonderful... we've all read books that had paragraphs describe a scene, and that's what we have here; a scene, no matter how well made, cannot convey "dread" or "unknown horror excruding". Is the narration needed? No... but it was different, and it helped.

The movie could have had words, but I think that what the movie did was provide as accurate a depiction for the story as possible, without having to resort to tried and true methods. Can a "modern" Cthulhu movie be made? Sure... but then it would rely on graphics and design and and and, and less on good old fashioned story telling.

And here... a trailer, I think... the footage is right, but I can't listen to it (at work). Hope it isn't dubbed in Spanish or has some stupid Rick Roll soundtrack.

Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Found a website that reportedly lists ALL instant streaming videos on Netflix. Will have to check this out tomorrow or something.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all
(this one lists ALL movies)

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/523
(this one lists ALL Canadian netflix)
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Didn't know if I should post this under Netflix Recommendations (as in, I recommend Netflix make some freakin' changes) or Netflix Finds (finds a disgruntled payer). Either way, this is bull.

Went from paying Netflix with a card to using Paypal. Not only does this help get rid of a credit card bill, but it would also be cheaper (direct withdrawal from checking account versus credit card charge fees, and Paypal doesn't charge for purchases.

Here it is, the second of the month, the date of my billing cycle, and I have been on and off the phone with both Netflix and Paypal since 1230. Why? Seems that Paypal only does a direct withdrawal from business accounts, not the free personal ones. As such, when Netflix went to get paid, Paypal then routed the request through my defunct credit card (had it cancelled a month ago). Because Netflix was unable to receive a payment, they cancelled my account.

They CANCELLED the account; they didn't put it on hold, they CANCELLED it.

Going back to Paypal... you would think that, if a business was requesting payment, they would notify me of being unable to pay. Isn't that why they took my information? To verify shit? But no, they let an outside party make an attempt to withdraw from both my checking and credit card without issuing any sort of notice. After searching for information, that's when I discovered that Paypal doesn't do automatic withdraws, but rather you have to put money into the paypal account first... why the hell do they ask for my banking information then?! That is completely fucked up, to say the least!

Check some Paypal pages, find out that there is a two to three day wait to transfer funds from the bank to Paypal. What?! In this day and age of instant payments, it takes them three freaking days to receive MY money to put MY money in MY account?! Quicker solution? Buy a prepaid card, go online, enter the information, and boom, taken care of! Paypal includes a $3.95 purchase fee on all prepaid cards, no matter the card cost. Assholes.

So I buy the card (they are at Family Dollar, and Crivitz has one a couple blocks away from me), go home and enter the information. The Paypal website even shows that my balance is updated and correct. Good, so now I call Netflix and play dumb; I tell them that I've just switched to Paypal, but I want to make sure that the Netflix people are getting the right information. The girl checks for me, sees Paypal, updates their information, and says that Netflix has taken the payment, and that my account would be reactivated within a few minutes.

A few dozen minutes later, after getting nothing off of the PS3 or the computer other than the same account error message, I call Netflix back. I tell them that the account, according to their people, was reactivated 1 1/2 hours ago... so why hasn't my account been reactivated? They tell me that even though they received the money, Paypal hasn't released it yet. What? How can you have my money if it wasn't given to you? Sorry, but everything points to an error on the Paypal side of things.

So I call Paypal. I tell them what's going on and have them check into things; they tell me, get this, that they released the payment, but Netflix hasn't accepted it yet. O.o They also say that it normally takes about an hour for everything to go through... I tell him that's nice and all, but it's now going on two and a half hours since all this first started. Guy couldn't answer me, but suggested that it was a fault with Netflix. I told him that that was what Netflix said, that it was an error on the Paypal end; conversation didn't end well.

So after more waiting / hoping things would get resolved, I called Netflix back. Hey listen, the guys at Paypal all say that this is your fault, that they sent the money that you aren't receiving (even though you said you got it, but it wasn't released); now tell me what's going on with my account.

"Please hold."

Ahh, according to their technical people (who the hell have I been talking to then?!), sometimes, not always, and not to all people, but sometimes some people when they use Paypal, it can take up to 24 hours for things to get resolved... electronic handshakes and all. (I'm thinking to myself bullshit, as I've done electronic transfers before, and at the most, it takes as long as the freakin' page to refresh). Please call back tomorrow if this issue hasn't been resolved.

And, even though it may seem as if I have a legitimate gripe against Paypal right now (and yes, I am pissed at them as well), in this instance I am more pissed at Netflix. They went from saying a few minutes to pointing the blame on someone else to then saying it'll take a day for us to resolve this.

Fucking bullshit.

EDIT

Just got off the phone with Netflix again... I had an email notification stating they cancelled me (a second time). In fact, the time of this last cancellation was when I got off the phone with the guy who said it'll be no more than 24 hours!

GAAAAAAAH!

Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:40 pm

You know, I never tried using paypal for a recurring withdrawal, which you now tell us won't work anyway... at least the bank>paypal side of things... but I have used paypal for EVERY ebay purchase, one Tigerdirect purchase, and quite a few other online purchases. Did I have money in my paypal account? NO. I have paypal linked to my credit/debit card, with a checking account backup. I confirm a purchase, paypal asks if it's okay, I say yes, they pay it, and my bank account gets the charge within 15 minutes. EVERY time I've used it!

Either they changed something recently, or they have decided you need 24 hours to just chill while they go to therapy after your verbal lashing. OR... maybe the paypal bandwidth is bottle-necked with the holiday shopping. Either way, your story is full of suckitude!
Back to top Go down
VaderXanth
Journeyman
VaderXanth

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I have used PayPal for things from Ebay, Amazon, Newegg and many many other things. My PayPal is also linked to my checking account through my Debit card. Every transaction goes quick as Shadow had stated.

I even had a multitude of transactions flying through PP on Black Friday through Steam. Not even a burp....

I think that all of this which is going on with Sooth boils down to the inadequacies of the people he is talking to. They probably don't understand what's going on and can't figure out which button to press on their keyboards.

Thumbs Down
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 11:17 am

Fucking fuck fuck fuckitty.

At 1030 this morning, I logged onto Paypal to see if anything changed. Nope, nothing. In fact, here's a screen shot.

NETFLIX Recommendations Pp10

See? See? Payment status - Pending. Click on details, go to the next window...

NETFLIX Recommendations Pp210

"Temprary Hold - Placed" If you were to hover over the word Place, or click on details, you'll go to yet an other window, and see this...

NETFLIX Recommendations Pp310

Proof that it is Paypal that has put a hold on the transaction, and not Netflix... even though Netflix still pissed me off with the different responses.

So anyway, I called Paypal again this morning, but with the wait I decided to email them (since I was at work). Their response? Here, I'll paste it for you (minus the linked answers)!

Quote :
Dear Michael Strandt,

Thanks for your email. To help you as quickly as possible, I want to give you some basic information about payment availability. If this information doesn't answer all of your questions, simply reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you.

If your payment isn't immediately available, we'll send an email to the address linked to your PayPal account (unless the payment is delayed due to processing). This email is the best source of information on why your payment isn't available and it usually also provides details on how to get your payment faster. You can also find this information in your PayPal account by clicking Details in your Transaction History log.

Payment availability may be delayed if:
A. Your buyer filed a dispute or chargeback
B. You're a new or below standard seller
C. We need information from you
D. A reserve has been placed on your account
E. We're reviewing the payment
I realize this email doesn’t answer every question about managing your PayPal account information. If you’d like more information or feel that maybe we misunderstood your issue, send us a quick reply with as many details about your situation as possible and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

Yours Sincerely,
PayPal

Of course, I wrote back saying that this seemed like an auto-generated response since it didn't answer anything, and I also wrote...
Quote :
This pending transaction has been pending for over 20 hours now. I
called your company four times yesterday, and each time I was told
that the money was sent, but that there is something wrong on the
Netflix end. When I called Netflix yesterday regarding this (also
four times), they would tell me that the error was on the Paypal end.
As you can see, I am a bit confused by this, as both parties are
blaming the other; however, it is Paypal, according to the Paypal
information under my account, that states "PayPal has placed a
temporary hold," not "Netflix has denied payment."

So my question is this: what is going on with this transaction, and
how much longer do I have to wait? I guess another related question
would be "Is this going to happen EVERY month Netflix tries to accept
the monthly subscription fee?"

Haven't heard from them yet.

I also called Netflix again this morning to see what was going on, and the guy told me that everything is looking as it should, and they even have the information concerning payment, but they cannot do anything until Paypal releases the payment. The guy suggested that he could try to resubmit the payment request ("don't worry sir, you won't be double-billed") but I told him to just wait for now, and let me see what I can do with Paypal first.

Mad

EDIT (removing a post and placing it here)

Finally, maybe I finally got somewhere!

So now Paypal is telling me that Netflix has to "capture" the payment... (couldn't wait for an email, so I called them again), that I may have to give Netflix the transaction number. Why I have to do this and not them, I have no idea. So I call back to Netflix.

They still say that they have the transaction; the service rep also says that he's gotten a lot of calls about Paypal, and said that sometimes it takes some time for a transaction to go through. He also said that "it looks like you used to pay with credit card, but then switched to Paypal... it's been my experience that an initial transaction with Paypal does take some time to go through."

Huh. 21 hours later, and I finally start to get an answer. So I ask him if I can expect this kind of difficulty every month with Netflix / Paypal, and he said no, that it's just the initial transaction, that everything will already be synced (not his word). He also did say that it would be about a day ("oh, I see this has been going on since yesterday"), and that everything should be up and running soon.

Soon, Yeah. Pfft. I'll believe it when I see it.

So my question to you guys is this: if Netflix sees that there is money there, and that Netflix even has the transaction, knowing full well that everything is on hold pretty much because Paypal has to get their shit together, then wouldn't it stand to reason that, if the known money is there, that my account should be active? Makes sense to me.

And what I can't figure out is that my money was electronically transferred to Paypal, and showed up on my account information in a matter of moments. Any electronic transfer I've done has always been a matter of moments. Hell, Netflix had the Paypal information, electronically, within a matter of moments. And yet it's taking this long for someone to actually acknowledge that there's something there? That no one seems to have enough brains and put 2 and 2 together, and just click the damn activate icon on the Netflix master program?

Last edited by soothsayer on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Huh, yet another thread that hasn't seen much activity in a while. Time for a quick review then!

Though I personally would not buy it, it should be said that this movie is good for at least one viewing, and is far far better than what I had originally thought it would have been. It is also A LOT better than the original (this being a remake / reboot or whatever)... Dredd. With it being within Netflix's "Newly Added" or something like that, it is worth every penny just to try it out!

One screwed up thing about this is that on my Netflix stream, Dredd wasn't even listed. I never knew it was even on Netflix; it was on Steven's feed. There has got to be a way for Netflix to email its subscribers and inform them of what has been added or available!

Anywho, Dredd. A thumb's up. Gave it four out of five stars on Netflix, but would probably rate it 7.5 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 am

I've been looking and searching and looking some more, believing that 'crunch would have posted something about it.  Haven't found anything yet...  but should something turn up, I shall remove this post and add to whatever I find (thought nothing has been found).

I only say this because I remember 'crunch telling me about this.  Maybe that's it, maybe it was an email discussion, or from work back when I was at the other location.  Oh well.

So what movie am I talking about?  Night Watch.

I won't talk too much about it, I'll leave that to 'crunch as this was his find and the honors should go to him.  All I wanted to say was that Mrs Soothsayer watched this last night and actually liked it, and she doesn't really care for movies with subtitles (notable exception being Pan's Labyrinth)!

You hear that 'crunch?  I've called you out!  You have to post a response!  C'mon, even Vader's been posting lately!

Laughing

{EDIT}

Reading the different threads and posts on IMDB regarding Night Watch. It's actually quite bizarre when people on there are saying "this is the worst vampire movie ever made" or compare it to Underworld. Apparently they weren't watching the same movie.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 am

Hell

NETFLIX Recommendations Hell10

Watched this movie a couple nights ago, and thought I'd recommend it to the rest of you. It isn't a great movie, but it isn't average, either. It's a good film with some great acting... even if you can't understand what they are saying (the movie's in German with English subtitles).

The premise of the movie is that, due to heightened solar activity, the Earth's global temperature has risen about 10*C (or 50*f). Wait, 50*F? That can't be right, let me double check something. *pause* Okay, I can't find anything, and I am going to assume that the temp has got to be wrong. Oh wait! I'm at work, I'll check Netflix itself... huh. It is 10*C. Weird.

Okay. Hell takes place in 2016, where, due to unusual solar activity, the Earth's been warmed by 10*C, and the sun has become so much brighter because of what had happened that even night offers little relief ("hell" in German means "bright"). Water is scarce, life is dying; you can only step outside completely covered. The film follows a group of individuals trying to survive.

I know, from that description, it's a "been there, done that" kind of movie. Post apocalyptic. Every breath is a struggle.

But even though the film does touch on cliches, that does not mean it is a bad film. On the contrary! The cliches are played out in a different light, and even though you know you've seen these used before, it's done in a new perspective. Maybe because this is a foreign film, and we are seeing things through non-American influences?

If you go online and check reviews for this, you'll see a mix regarding the acting, good or bad. I thought it was good, and I was impressed with the lead actress (Hannah Herzsprung). Then again, most movies I've watched involving Germans also usually involved a lot of shooting, tanks, and Jews, so my background in this is limited.

The movie itself is quick paced, and is over before you realize it: it doesn't seem like 90 minutes has gone by.

On Netflix, I believe I gave this 4 out of 5 stars, but with a 10 star rating, I would say 7 1/2, maybe 8. I have a real issue with the 10*C, and with the cliches (irregardless of how they played out). 10*C? Average summer in Germany is 72*F... increased by 50*F, that's 122*F! Sure, survivable, but damn, that's a lot. Now that I think about it, maybe that isn't as far-fetched as I initially thought.

full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating empty_rating empty_rating 
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Trailer Park Boys

Oh dear lord, what can I say... this show is funny. Some jokes are mere snorts, others are laugh-out-loud. Kid friendly? I'll leave that to you to decide, although there is a lot of swearing and drug use.

The show is done in the mockumentary style, and follows two criminals (term used loosely) as they go about their day to day lives while living in a trailer park. Each season ends with someone (usually the two main characters) going to jail, with the new season starting off with them getting out swearing "to turn their lives around". The rest of the season shows their latest con and the fuck-ups.

The show was a massive hit up in Canada (where it takes place), has spawned three movies and a continuation of the series (originally written for seven). Netflix carries two movies and seven seasons. The first movie, TPB: The Movie takes place between seasons five and six story-wise, but there will be some confusion because that movie, although using same characters and plot, has nothing to do with the television show. The other movie on Netflix, TPB: Countdown to Liquor Day, is definitely the better of the two movies, and takes place well after the ending of the seventh season. There's some confusion here as well, but that's because Netflix doesn't have the one shots between the series' end and the movie.

Excellent stuff here! And when you consider we all know people like this, it makes it even better!

full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating empty_rating 
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 9:40 am

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

I think I've just found a new favorite movie!  

Take any spaghetti western (okay, any good one), give it a Korean setting and influence, mix in a healthy dose of action / adventure, and add a dash of subtle comedy.  Only then will you begin to understand this movie with which words can do no justice.

Please note that the description on Netflix is wrong.  The three aren't teaming up, no no no.  I'd post the wiki, but it reveals too much.  The IMDB description is better...
Quote :
The story of two outlaws and a bounty hunter in 1940s Manchuria and their rivalry to possess a treasure map while being pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits.

Don't let the fact that it is not in english (dubbing or otherwise) detract you.  The subtitles are clear and well done; you don't even notice you're reading them while watching the film.

Let's just say that IMDB gave it 7.4 out of 10, and Rotten Tomatoes an 84%.  Me?  I'm giving it a full blown 10 out of 10.

Watch this, seriously!  Someone's been recommending this to me for over a year now and I kept brushing it off, and I wish I hadn't!

full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating full_rating
Back to top Go down
Shadowcrunch
Journeyman
Shadowcrunch

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah I would be torn between a 9 and a nine a half. You have the anime-style character development and interaction, INCLUDING the characters having definite backstories that kind of make them who they are now. You have action, much of it way over the top... but that has a lot to do with the spaghetti western thing too. It's like a writer/director of spaghetti westerns got drunk, fell asleep on a train, woke up in Manchuria, and said "I will make the next great cowboy movie here! But I will use some of that kung fu local vibe...hmmmm.... and a train...".

Sooth, if you like this, I would REALLY recommend Sukiyaki Western Django, but that is unfortunately no longer on Netflix (the bastards!). If you can find it, it's the same mish mash of East and West meets cowboys and indians. Netflix DOES have (again) another I've recommended in the past, Warrior's Way... or is it THE Warrior's Way? Samurai hides from his past in the old west... action AND a story ensue! Glad you enjoyed TGTB&TW though!
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Journeyman
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Saw this article as I was looking for other things, went through the list, and would have to agree with the ones I've seen.

The article?  20 Great Movies on Netflix You Probably Haven't Seen.  It goes on to explain what the movie is about and why you should watch it.  Unlike most "must watch" lists, this has a rather nice variety, genres all over the place. The movies are (in order from 20 to 1)

• Kill Theory
  • Final Countdown
  • The Horde
  • Ninja 2
  • Boy Wonder
  • Doghouse
  • Grabbers
  • Bad Boys
  • Wilderness
  • The Final
  • True Legend
  • Valhalla Rising
  • Merantau
  • God Bless America
  • Fat Kid Rules the World
  • I Like Killing Flies
  • Four Rooms
  • The Good, The Bad, and The Weird
  • Bernie
  • 13 Assassins

I've either seen about half of these, or have them in my queue, so I can attest to a few of them. Final Countdown we've all seen growing up... The Final was just a great film in my opinion... Good / Bad / Weird, hell, just look at my above post!

Here's the link to the article. Go ahead, give it a read!

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-great-movies-on-netflix-you-probably-havent-seen/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_133256
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NETFLIX Recommendations   NETFLIX Recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

NETFLIX Recommendations
Page 1 of 1